[70] - Count Down

I leave in 3 days.

Yes, it's been a time jump, I know. But not much has happened within the last week and a half. I've found myself knee deep in packing, cleaning, organising, and of course, crying my soul out.

No, I haven't spoken to Ethan since. He's ignored all my calls, ignored all my texts, he's even opting out of all the group outings we've been on since. It's almost like he's completely erased me out, and I haven't even left yet.

Of course, as soon as the lights go out at night I begin to miss his warmth, and I find myself having to turn my pillowcase around to avoid sleeping on a wet tearstained pillow, but I feel like during the day I'm holding up well.

"This is the last of the dinner set," I huffed as I placed the cardboard box by the front door. The movers are picking up all our stuff today so that by the time we arrive in New York it'll be ready. Seeing the house so cold and so empty gives me a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach and I hate it so much. It's like every memory has been wiped clean, ready for the next family to move in and start their own.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and check - just out of curiosity -if Ethan had replied, or even read, any of my messages. I was upset, but nonetheless not surprised, when he hadn't. Of course I'm heartbroken, but I have so much to do within the next few days, so much waiting for me, that I can't mope around in self pity.

"That should be all of it," Maya sighed as she placed another cardboard box beside mine, and we watched as the movers grabbed them and tossed them into the back of the van.

"Hey, those are fragile," my mother called out from outside, and Maya and I just laughed to ourselves.

"So," she pouted, "how're you holding up?" 

I shrugged, "so-so. Of course, there have been better times."

She nodded and placed her hands on her hips, "most definitely."

"Maya, can you help me get this in?" my mother called out as she struggled with lifting something into the truck. Maya ran over to her and began to help. I felt my phone vibrate and checked to see what it was.

"Hello?" I said into the phone as I answered Madison's call.

"Hey Lena," she chirped, "we were wondering if you were free today? We all want to hang out."

I looked at the empty house and finished boxes, "yeah I'm free, sounds good."

"Awesome! Aaron will get you in a bit." she chuckled and we both say goodbye.

I fixed up my hair slightly in the reflection of the countertop, since everything was pretty much packed away.

I gathered my handbag and my phone, along with my wallet. By the time I had done that, Aaron had already got here.

"Woah," his eyes widened, "this feels weird. You're all... packed up."

"Yeah," I sighed, glancing back at the house and the van. I got into the car with Aaron, and he began to exit.

"How you been?" he asked.

"Busy," I sighed fiddling with my fingers. I knew it was far fetched, but the question still lurked in my mind.

"Is Ethan gonna be there?" I asked, looking in his direction.

He looked lost for words, and almost awkward, "he, uh, he never replied."

Alright, well, at least it's not just me he's completely ghosting. I nodded silently, and kept my eyes on my lap. We eventually pulled into a little diner that was slightly off-road, and I immediately spotted Grayson's car.

"It's on us," Aaron stopped me before I pulled out my handbag, "you won't be needing your wallet."

I smiled slightly and gratefully, "oh, okay." I really didn't know what to say.

"And she's here!" Sasha called out as soon as we both entered the little diner. They all turned and cheered, raising their glasses up in kerfuffles.

"Hey, you guys," I smiled with a small chuckle as each individual came over to greet me. Of course, there was no Ethan, and I'm sure the disappointment was evident in my eyes as the hopefulness faded.

"Finally, you're here, now we can start ordering," Lucy chuckled as she sat back in her chair around the large, circular table.

I sat between Grayson and Nate, and everyone was talking about what food they were going to order. I slightly nudged Grayson and he looked down at me.

"How is he?" I whispered, biting my lip. No one really knows what happened besides Grayson. They just think we had a little disagreement over me leaving, not that we're officially broken up. Or, whatever we are.

"Uh," he coughed, "not-not well. He, uh, he hasn't spoken to me, or anyone, since."

I swallowed the large ball of guilt stuck in the back of my throat, and returned to look at my menu.

"We really tried to get him here, Lena," Madison whispered. Of course Madison knew, Grayson would have told her.

I mouthed the words, 'it's okay' to her, and returned my glance to my menu. The waitress came over to our table and took all of our orders. Apparently Aaron knew the owner of the diner, and since it was a secluded property, he was able to bribe to give us alcohol. Sure, a hit doesn't sound too bad right now.

***

"3 cheers for Elena!" Nate called and everyone cheered. We were all feeling tipsy at this point, Nate and Aaron possibly a little more than most of us.

"We're going to miss you, Len-Len," Aaron winked as he took a chug at his beer.

"Len-Len?" I chuckled, sipping the champagne I was given.

"That's your new name from now on," he shrugged and laughed.

"I love it!" I cheered and raised my glass, "to Len-Len!"

Everyone took a swig at their drinks and we all just enjoyed each others company. I was having the time of my life, honestly. I truly couldn't ask for better friends.

Of course, in the back of my mind was always Ethan. I imagined him sitting beside me, laughing, telling jokes and stories like he always does. I imagined him kissing me, hugging me, holding me, telling me he would never let the distance break us apart. Just like we promised.

Forever and ever.

"Who's going to be the D&D?" Nate asked, pointing at everyone.

"I will," Grayson held up his hand, "I barely had anything to drink."

"Alright, Grayson!" Aaron cheered. Yep, they've definitely had a bit too much.

"Ready to go now, Elena?" he asked me, and I took another big chug at my champagne. I didn't want this night to end, ever. Please, don't let this night end.

-