Her Acquaintance, A Whole New World

This story is also available on Quotev.
____________________

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Groaning exhaustedly, you shift beneath the plump covers of your bed, the sheets ruffling and wrapping themselves tighter around your form, and feeling uncomfortable, you kick the covers off, slowly sitting up and glaring at the alarm clock that lies on your dresser. 'It's too early to be getting up. I'd rather just stay in bed for the rest of the day.' Flicking your wrist in the direction of the alarm clock, the irritating rings of the alarm falls silent, allowing the room to transcend into a peaceful calm. Although exhaustion clings to your bones, you rise from the bed and head to the bathroom, all the while pulling at the birds nest you would call your hair. I had to say up all night watching Black Butler. Well, at least it was worth it.'

Washing up and throwing on an outfit, you begin the climb to the first floor, the floorboards beneath your socks creaking with each step you took. With lazy steps, you enter the empty kitchen, taking the time to heat some leftovers in the microwave before entering the living room and turning on the TV. The Black Butler episode from yesterday was still paused, the video just halfway through to the end. There's still enough time before you need to leave, might as well finish the episode.

Settling in the comfortable cushions of the couch, you resume the episode, falling once more into your fantasies of the show. 'I don't care if Sebastian's a demon, I'd want that ass any day. At this point, just about every character in this show is hot. And I can't even forget the Undertaker.' The remainder of the episode flies by, and it's then that you take a chance to look at your phone. 7:05 A.M. Abruptly you stand. Even if you wanted to start a new episode, there just wasn't enough time to do so. 'Why~ I just wanted to watch more. If I don't hurry up, I'm going to be late to class.'

Through hasty actions, the dishes are washed and you race to the front door, slinging your backpack over your shoulders and taking one last sweeping glance around the empty house. Your gaze falls upon a portrait on a nearby table, the smiling faces of your parents staring back at you. In the large empty expanse of the house, their absence is profound. 'I wish the two of you were here. I can't believe it's already been seven years.' Emotions cloud within your chest, and it takes a moment before you're able to pull yourself from the turmoil of your memories. With a last glance you shut the door, locking it in place before jogging down the street towards school.

The streets leading to school are relatively empty, although few cars drove past, those of people on their way to work and other responsibilities. There's a hush silent in the early morning; dew coats the grass and shrubs, and the wind is chilly and moist from the thunderstorm last night. Soggy papers are stapled to telephone poles, bold warning letters and mugshots printed across them and warning citizens of the turmoil that plagues the world. Nausea rises in the back of my throat at the propaganda that inscribed on the paper, the very same propaganda that's seen across every form of media. Casting nervous glances around, you pulled the straps of the backpack closer and resume your way to school.

The imposing foundation of the high school appears in front, the ringing echoes of the school bell resounding throughout the academy and sending you running towards your homeroom class. 'It's only the first bell, there's still time to not be late.' Students judgmentally stare as you ran, but you ignored their attention, focusing simply on reaching the classroom. Bursting through the homeroom class door, you settle into your seat all the while ignoring the stares from your fellow classmates. Dropping your backpack to the side, you collapse on the desk, your cheek pressing against its cool surface while you attempted to catch your breath.

Something nudges your shoulder. Sighing, you sit up and look to Courtney, the closest friend here at this school who sat directly to your right. "Good morning~ You were just seconds away from being late. You certainly got lucky." Without giving you a chance to respond, she leans closer, presenting her phone so that you could read. "Check what's popular on the news today. Everybody's been talking about it. It's about time the government got something done about all of this."