Passive

Song for the chapter: Melanie Martinez- Nurse

27th

"Baby, you haven't lifted your head at all." Jason sighed. He gently picked me up to sit in his lap, manually lifting my chin to look out over the pond, trees, flowers. "Look at the beautiful life you protected. Do you remember this place?" He asked.

"This is where I almost died." I whispered. Because I couldn't handle it. So stupidly tricked and attacked. Three measly cuts and to the hospital I went. A coma! What a disgrace!

"It looks different in the day, doesn't it?"

It does, taking away the most significant feature this location had to offer.

The stars.

I'd never seen such a clearer view of the stars like I did that night. Billions of white shinning stars decorating across the mystic night sky. 

Will I destroy those too?

"The demon was going to infect the crops a sole farmer planted a few minutes away. It would've spread, killing multiple peoples food supply. Eventually it would've killed this deer..." A deer timidly walked out from the treeline across the pond, hoping to drink peacefully. "It would've killed that deer, its family, its herd. Once an animal is taken out of the food chain, the entire ecosystem falls out of place. All the animals would've died. But you saved them."

The deer drank quietly, ears perked up at the sound of Jason talking. Only a few seconds passed before multiple deer's joined.

"You saved everything here." Jason whistled softly, catching the attention of one of the deer's. Soon making its way around the pond directly to us.

It pushed its head against my own.

A soft chuckle escaped me.

It nudged me once again, softly pushing into my cheek. With caution, I brought my hand up, wanting to touch the adoring animal. She pushed into my hand, breathing softly. Knowing I wouldn't hurt her.

A wave of emotions and memories passed into me.

This deer, was there. She saw me running away, tripping, falling, crying in pain. She was scared for me, empathizing on how excruciating the pain must have been.

There was then a feeling of gratification. Thankful, I killed the demon even in a dying state.

"Hey girl." Jason smiled widely, leaning his forehead against hers.

Even though I saved this deer now, It'll be my fault she's suffering in future. It'll be my fault when a demon hunts her down, tearing her limb from limb. Far worse than any of her normal predators.

All of this, it is beautiful. Its... Ethereal.

But that just reminds me of all the damage hell will bring onto this earth.

Instead of the vibrant, almost magical colors splattered across this landscape. I see the trees up in flame, creating a storm of smoke. Animals running with blood dripping out of them, stars disguised by the glowing light of the fire blazing for miles.

Tears formed in my eyes as I watched the sweet animal in front of me, nuzzling into Jason's hand.

No, I don't want to do this to that poor little baby. No. I'm so sorry.

"No..." I sobbed, "NO!" I yelled.

"Serenity, whats wrong?" He turned me around to face him. He place both hands on my face, trying to see what was wrong, gently wiping my tears in the process. "Baby, you're okay. Why are you crying?" A pained expression on his face. The pond transformed from a clean resource of water to a hole filled purely by blood. Wailing heard from miles of these animals suffering.