XXV. EXCUSES

―❅―
𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐂𝐄
[ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ғɪᴠᴇ - 𝘦𝘹𝘤𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘴]

"it shouldn't be this hard to hold on, it's hard to be round you but i hate it when you're gone"

on, it's hard to be round you
but i hate it when you're gone"

✧✦✧✦✧

The next day Thea was at the High School decorating Caroline's locker for her birthday just as they did every year, though she wasn't as enthusiastic about it as she had been the previous years. Last night when the young wolf returned home from her trip to the Boarding House, she received a call from a very pleased Damon who told her all about Klaus' plan to kill Jeremy. The raven haired vampire had called her to gloat, insisting that he was right and the hybrid couldn't be changed, no matter how much she tried- and she was beginning to think he was right.

Not only had Klaus gone against his word to stop hurting her friends, he'd used her brother to do his bidding- something he had promised her he would never do. The dark haired teen was furious. She'd gone against her friends, insisting the hybrid wasn't as evil as he seemed as she burned the already broken bridges between her and them- all for him to prove her friends right. He was evil, and he couldn't be saved- especially when he didn't want saving in the first place.

He had made her look like a fool. A naive, love-struck fool who only wished she could blame all of her feelings on the stupid soulmate bond. But she knew she couldn't- she knew what she felt for him was real. Which made the pain of his lies and manipulation sting all that bit more. "Uh, hey, T," a hesitant voice spoke from behind the young teen, startling her slightly as she placed more streamers on Caroline's locker.

Turning to face the source of the voice, Thea found Elena stood behind her with a sheepish look on her face and a bunch of balloons in her hands, "hey," the wolf muttered boredly causing the doppelganger to sigh in defeat. "Look, T. I'm sorry for letting Mikael use you. I mean, your brother did just try and kill mine, surely that makes us even," Elena uttered making Thea scoff in exasperation as she stared at the brunette in disbelief.

"Tyler didn't have a choice," the young Lockwood stated firmly as she stared at Elena with a harsh glare, "yeah, because of your psychotic soulmate," Elena retorted with an equally harsh stare. Thea's eyes narrowed into slits as she stared at her friend in anger, "because your emotionless twat of a boyfriend stole his family," she countered as she held Elena's stare.

The doppelganger opened her mouth ready to reply before she was interrupted by Bonnie, "hey, sorry I'm late, I- I got held up," the witch uttered as she hurried towards them with even more party decorations in her hands. Elena removed her gaze from the brunette in front of her, turning to face Bonnie "it's okay, I just got here too," the doppelganger assured her with a smile.

"Yeah. Can you pass me the balloons? Thanks," Thea uttered as she turned back to decorate Caroline's locker as Bonnie handed her the balloons, "what got you running so late?" Elena asked the witch, directing her attention away from the wolf and to her instead. "I was, working on some new spells," Bonnie answered distractedly, looking between her two brunette friends in confusion as she noticed the tension between them, "you?"