XLV. EYES CLOSED

―❅―
𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐂𝐄
[ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀᴛʏ-ғɪᴠᴇ - 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦𝘥]

"would've gave it all for you, cared for you, so tell mewhere i went wrong"

cared for you, so tell me
where i went wrong"

✧✦✧✦✧

News of Carol Lockwood's departure quickly spread throughout town. The woman had decided that a comfy life in Florida with the rest of the Lockwood family was far more befitting of her than being Mayor of a town that caused nothing of pain. Carol was happy, though she missed her friends and children greatly, she knew that she'd be happier in Florida with her husband's family. Or so Stefan had compelled her to believe.

As a result of Carol's resignation, the town had to appoint a new Mayor of Mystic Falls, which is why Sheriff Forbes had organised a mandatory school assembly, which is where Thea currently was- sat at the back of the gymnasium with an expressionless stare as her friends sat in front of her, attempting to comfort her. But, the wolf didn't want to be comforted; not by them at least. In truth, she didn't really care what they had to say to her.

She was so beyond done trying to be the loyal and selfless friend that constantly sacrificed her happiness to ensure her friends could have theirs. She was so far past trying to please and be friends with everyone. The brunette just didn't care anymore. She had spent too much of her time trying to gain her friends' acceptance of her relationship, when in the end, she never truly needed it. She should've never had to beg for it in the first place.

Call it dramatic, call it an overreaction, call it whatever you want; but from this moment on, Thea Lockwood was done. Done sacrificing herself for others. Done bending over backwards to help save a man that never truly wanted to be saved. Klaus had broken her heart- more than her friends ever could. It was sad to think, but a part of her always knew her friends would never stop trying to get rid of Klaus, no matter how much she begged and pleaded.

But she never expected him to be the one to break her heart. Naïve? Extremely. But after all the things they'd been through, stuck through together, she truly believed that he was it for her. That it was her and him together, always and forever, just as he'd promised her. But forever was never meant to last, and there was never any way Thea could've possibly hoped to change the big bad hybrid- no matter how hard she tried.

He was so fixated in his ways, as he had been for over a thousand years. He loved her, he did, and she knew that. But his love for her just wasn't strong enough to outweigh the poisonous anger he held for her brother, and his need to seek revenge is what caused him to lose her. She'd have done anything for him and she only ever hoped that he'd do the same for her.

But hope's a funny thing. And the wolf knew that at one point she had to stop trying to force her own fantasies into becoming her reality. There comes a time in life where you realise that you have done too much for someone that the only next possible step is to stop. Leave them alone. Walk away. It doesn't mean that you're giving up, or that you haven't tried; but at some point, you need to draw the line between determination and desperation.