XXXIX. LONE RANGER

𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐂𝐄
[ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ɴɪɴᴇ - 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳]

―❅―𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐂𝐄[ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ɴɪɴᴇ - 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳]

"much less brave than i admit,
much more scared than they all think"

✧✦✧✦✧

The next morning, Thea decided to go on a run, wanting to escape her house that was full of hybrids and Hayley and having nothing better to do. She'd have gone to see her friends, except Rebekah wasn't answering her calls, Klaus was in Italy and Damon was still hung up over Elena and frankly, she didn't want to deal with the doppelganger at this moment in time.

Thea ran down the street towards the Grill, panting as her cheeks became flushed. She had left in such a rush this morning that she had forgotten to pick up her water bottle. Rookie mistake, but Hayley was still lounging about at the Lockwood mansion and Thea couldn't put up with her any longer. Coming to a stop outside the Grill, Thea opened the door before entering.

She knew they weren't open yet but Matt always allowed Thea in when he was working the morning shift, knowing that her forgetting her bottle when going on a run was a regular occurrence. "Forget your water again?" the human smirked as he looked up to face the brunette who was currently leant against the bar attempting to catch her breath.

Thea looked up at him as she puffed her red cheeks, nodding at him with an embarrassed smile causing Matt to laugh as he bent to grab a glass under the bench before pouring her a glass of water. The wolf thanked him, downing the drink before placing the empty glass back down on the counter and looking expectantly up at Matt with a grin.

The human boy sighed before pouring her another glass, "to say you go running most of the time, you really are lousy at remembering to pick up your water bottle," Matt laughed causing the Lockwood girl to scowl as she pulled her messy hair free of her bobble before retying it much neater. "It wasn't even my fault this time," she defended as she took a drink from the glass, "that wolf bitch is still at the house and won't leave," the brunette whined.

Matt sighed, looking at the girl in amusement. Before he had the chance to reply however, another voice interrupted their conversation, "uh, Matt? Thea?" April called out as the two shifted their gazes to find her stood hesitantly at the entrance. "Uh, hey, April. We don't open until eleven," Matt told her awkwardly as Thea smiled at her warmly, causing April to look to the ground in embarrassment.

"Oh, sorry. I wasn't like trying to scare you or stalk you or whatever. I just- I came to ask if either of you had seen Rebekah," the brunette asked causing Thea to frown, concern arising within her as she thought about her friend being in danger. "Not since yesterday," the wolf replied at the same time Matt spat, "why would I have seen Rebekah?" with a defensive look on his face.

Thea rolled her eyes at his boyish remark as April blushed awkwardly, "oh, I just assumed... I mean, aren't you guys kind of like a thing?" the brunette asked causing Matt to scoff. "Rebekah and I are not a thing," he muttered as he turned around to dry more glasses on the bar. April walked closer to them, stopping just in front of Thea with a worried smile, "well- i-I mean I'm worried about her. She said she'd help me find stuff out about the fire that killed my dad and then she just, disappeared," the brunette stuttered causing Thea to frown in concern. Where had Rebekah gone?