13

17 years ago.

"Shut up!" Klaus yelled as Ben's eyes grew wide.

"Really? Why him? I mean, he is super rude and cheeky and-" Ben began to ask.

"I don't know." I huffed, throwing my arms in the air. "There is just something about him. He doesn't follow  the rules. He does what he wants."

"Ah the classic movie type of boy. Still-" Ben was interrupted by the ringing of Grace's small bell,

"Kids, dinner is ready." She announced as I heard foot steps race down the stairs.

"You can't tell anyone, promise?"

"Promise." The two boys said in unison before the three of us rushed down stairs for dinner.

We walk in a line into the dining room, and stood behind our seats waiting for father to join us.

When he arrives, he pulls out his chair slightly and looked over at Vanya, before ordering, "sit."

We ate in silence for a moment or two before Five brings his knife up and slams it into the table.

"Number Five?"

"I have a question."

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during meal times. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

"I want to time travel."

"No."

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spacial jumps, just like you said." He pushed his seat back and stood up, disappearing are reappearing next to Father. "See?"

"A special jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

"Well I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

Vanya shook her head towards him as I mouthed 'don't' but he continued, "I'm not afraid."

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five shook his head before walking away. "Five!" I yell, but father sent me a murderous glare.

"Number Five! You haven't been excused! Come back here!" Father ordered but all we heard was the door open and close.

End of flashback

"No, no, no, no."

"Klaus, wake the fuck up?"

"What happened!? And I did know that thank you very much."

"Nightmares."

"Oh...shut your pie hole Ben! Said with love." Klaus says, then blowing a kiss towards the empty seat. "I can't smoke eggs."

"One of these have got to be gold-plated right?" Klaus continued,

I watched Pogo come in as Klaus raided the cupboard. Pogo cleared his throat.

"Christ on a cracker!" Klaus gasped, "Pogo?"

"My apologies Master Klaus." Pogo apologized, "I have a query for the pair of you."

"Oh?"

"Items from your father's office have gone missing. In particular, an ornate box with pearl inlay."

"Really?" I ask,

"Really?" Klaus repeats. "You don't say."

"Any idea where it went?"

Yesterday

After Klaus and I left the living room, Klaus showed me a box. A box that belonged to dad. The exact box Pogo had described.

"Really?" I ask,

"Really?" Klaus repeats. "You don't say."

"Any idea where it went?"