38

"Hazel, whatever you came here to say, I suggest you make it quick, before he comes round."

"I left my partner, quit the commission, came to volunteer."

"For what exactly?" I ask.

"To help stop the apocalypse."

Five chuckled while sipping on his drink.

"What on earth could be so funny to you right now?"

"Before I answer that, why do you wanna help us?"

"Let's just say I have a vested interest in a doughnut shop."

"Well I hate to break it to you, pal-" Five began.

"You're too late." I interrupt.

"The fact that you're here right now means, without a shadow of a doubt, that the apocalypse is over."

"Really? How do you know?"

"The mark is dead. Found him this morning. You were the last known unknown left in the equation."

Hazel laughed, "shit. Really?"

"Mm-hmm. And if you're out, then Hellrider ain't riding."

"Oh." Hazel chuckles. "All right." He then takes a seat on the other side next to Five. Drinking the cocktail out of the blender. "So now what?"

"You know, to be honest, I don't know. I've been chasing this thing for so long, I...I never really thought about the day after." Five turned to me and grinned before turning back. "But I think I have an idea of what I want. What about you?"

"I'm done with all this madness. Time to start over. You should do the same."

"That's easier said than done."

"It doesn't have to be hard."

~

Diego groaned, and got to his feet. "Shit."

"Good. You're up." Five grinned.

"Ready for a drink now?"

Realising what happened. He jumped to his feet and looked around, searching for Hazel. "Where is he?"

"We let him go."

"You what?"

"Now that the apocalypse is over, it's time for the fighting to stop. Hey, he didn't kill Patch. His partner Cha-cha did."

"So what? They were both there that night."

"This half of the partnership gave me both of their guns. Which will clear you, because the ballistics will match Patch's crime scene. Hazel came here looking for a way out. He wanted a fresh start. And he happened to have in his possession the one thing that could do our family a little good, so it's time to move on."

"Not a chance."

"Diego please." I say sadly, but he walked away.

"I am curious." Five began, picking Delores up. "Your girlfriend, Patch. What did you like about her?"

Diego returned to the room to answer the question. "A lot of things. Cute butt. Nice legs."

"Anything a little more profound than that?"

"She believed in people. No matter how much shit and filth she saw on the streets. She always saw the good inside."

"Well I'm sure she would be proud to know that your killing Hazel and Cha-cha as a way to honour her memory."

I had walked away at this point. Returned to my bedroom and tried to get some sleep. We weren't going to die today, like fate wanted us to.