Rena Freefall

Q1: What's your favourite childhood book?

"I'm not sure. I have a lot of stories that mean a lot to me. I think the one that always comes to mind though is 'White Fang'. It's in no way my favourite book but it means a whole lot to me. I'm dyslexic and that combined with awful teaching, meant reading etc was a major struggle.

I couldn't stand it, (despite adoring stories in any form I could get them outside of reading). It wasn't until I was 11 that I could actually read/ finish a book on my own (Whitefang) and from then on, no stopping me. It was around then that I started writing as well. So, not my childhood favourite, but holds high standing.

(I can tell you my least favourite though. ' Where the Wild things are. Just...no. *Shivers*."

Q2: What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

"Overcoming my own laziness and 'not planning' coming back to bite me. I go into novels with almost no planning and it can be a very bad thing. (I wrote Red Roses with no idea what was happening between one chapter and the next. That was a trip! I would not suggest following my lead).

Wing it if you can but maybe not as much as I do."

Q3: If you had done something differently as a child or teenager to become a better writer as an adult, what would you do?

"Socialise more. Like seriously, writing everyday is grand, but I would go back and tell mini me to go have more of a social life.

People and psychology feed into my writing-most of my books are character driven over plot and the only way to know people is to KNOW people.

But also, it's just better for one's mental health in the teenage years to socialise. If you choose to disengage from society after that, well, at least you gave it a go and have the social skills to move around it as an adult."

Q4: How long on average does it take you to write a book?

"Between 3 months and a year. I used to write them in 3 months easily but kind of burned myself out. So closer to 9-12 months these days. Though I also have a lot of outside work so that plays into the delay.

And it also depends on how easy the book is to write. Some are very easy, others...you have to wrestle to write them."

Q4: Do you believe in writers block?

"Hmm... Yes and no. I wouldn't dare tell another writer to just 'suck it up you don't have writers block, you're just being lazy.' I have no place to dictate to them what's going on in their heads.

No. I get lazy or depression or disenchanted and lose interest for a bit. Or I'm simply too busy and I have to prioritise and have to figure a way around it. But I'm never NOT writing-even if I'm not writing the write book. I have about 30 different books to pick and choose from, I can always find something to write until I get it in gear again."

Q5: What do you do when you're not writing?

"Reading. Wasting a LOT of time on Youtube. Singing (though not as much as I should be). Art stuff. sleeping (I'm a great fan of sleeping). Thinking about plots and characters. I spend a lot of time inside my own head creating scenes."

Q6: Do you have any suggestions to help people become better writers?

"Write. Sadly, it's the only way I know to become a better writer. I was discussing this in regard to my latest novel (Kingdom in the Sand) with some readers. My writing has improved massively since I uploaded Steel Roses and that's because I've written...A LOT. You just have to keep writing, reading and judging, then you'll get better.

Make friends with your readers as well. I have some excellent readers in the community who will chatter away about anything and everything, and they're not shy about commenting on my work without being mean. I'm targeting my books at the those readers so it's worth listening to them. They're clever people who care."

Q7: What do you think makes a good story?

"Hmm, so much. So much and it varies from book to book. I think for me, more than anything, it's the character. I ADORE characters and dialogue and interaction and psychology. It's why my books are heavy with dialogue. I don't think my plots are overly impressive (though I try to keep people guessing and usually manage it) but the characters, that where people get attached. Have you SEEN readers around Beldon? Characters are what mess readers up emotionally and I love a book with REAL characters, (however unreal they are).

Not to say plot, writing, voice, tone, grounding, etc etc etc are not core to a good story. Really they're all needed to make a truly good story. But for me, characters will lead the way and the rest will follow."

Q8: As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

"I think when I started reading and writing-around 11-thats when I settled on being a writer. Not sure what I wanted to be before that. Maybe a singer? It's my joint strongest talent and I was aware of it sooner than writing. But I have to write or I go slightly loopy.  Whereas, I can go long periods without singing properly."

~Don't forget to vote~