TaintedRain

1) What is the most difficult part about writing for you? And how do you overcome it?

"The first thing that comes to mind is the first draft. Don't get me wrong, I love writing the first draft, but I constantly get stuck or feel like I have no idea what I'm doing or where I'm going with something. Some of this has to do with the fact that I don't do a thorough outline before I start writing. I'll outline a bit—the biggest plot points, jot down a few ideas for in-between—but the rest feels like piecing the story together as I go. In the past, I also haven't done much—if any—research before starting, so that also plays a huge role. Especially when some of the projects on my profile have been stories I've been working on for years.

This is also the time when you're creating something from scratch. With the next drafts, there's always a base to work with. This this, you have to create the base yourself.

With upcoming works, I've been doing better with planning and researching. I basically now want to have at least a slightly more solid foundation before I start. For my NaNoWriMo novel, I'm actually trying to outline more thoroughly. We'll see how that goes, because sometimes it feels like my brain just doesn't work that way.

Basically, to overcome the difficulties I have with the first draft, I just want to be more organized and prepared!"

2) Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?

"Don't give up. Writing a book is hard! It can be so frustrating, and, sometimes, it's not as much fun as we'd like it to be. But persevere. Try to write, even when it's difficult—when getting each word to the page feels like pulling teeth. Get the words down. You can fix them later. You can do this!

On the other hand, remember yourself. By that, I mean take care of your mental and physical health. As stated above, writing can be emotionally draining and stressful. So, if you try to write even when it's hard, and you find that it's just not happening, take a step back. Do something else for a little while, and come back to your story later—whether it be later in the day or maybe the next day. It's okay. Your health is so important—please take care of yourself! <3

Don't be afraid to experiment with different planning styles—whether it be not at all, a little, a lot, or something in-between. I started out more as what's referred to as a "pantser"—someone who writes a story by the seat of their pants (this is such a weird saying, wow, haha!). Maybe I'd jot down a few ideas in the beginning, but, other than that? I just dove in and saw where the story took me as I went along. Now, I can't imagine going in blind. I want to know who I'm writing about, where I'm placing them, how their world works, and at least the basics of what I want to happen to them.

An authortuber (an author on YouTube) once recommended to try switching things up when you get stuck. Having trouble on Word? Switch to Google Docs! Typing just not doing it for you? Go to paper! In the past, changing from my laptop to a notebook, or even just changing from my couch to my bedroom's desk, has helped me get my groove back.

Overall, just remember to try your best! And remember to have some fun!"

3) What was your favorite part, and your least favorite part, of the publishing journey?

"My favorite part had to be the aftermath—when people actually came up to me during a book signing, holding my books, excited to have me sign them. It was like, HOLY CRAP. I still get giddy when I think about it.

My least favorite part was the way my anxiety constantly got in the way of my enjoyment of the process. It didn't help that I didn't do research before moving forward, so I knew nothing about the process and would freak out whenever something would go slightly askew. Highly would recommend doing some research and learning about how things work before throwing yourself in blind."