Interviewing KGRbooks

Dedicated to KGRbooks

Q1: What's your favourite childhood book?

"As a child I loved to read Enid Blyton books, such as the secret seven or the famous five. Looking back, they were actually quite sexist however, and after finding an old book I wrote I realised I had incorporated those sexist views into my own 8 year old works. However, Blyton's style of writing did influence me tremendously through school, helping me to achieve higher grades and produce greater pieces of writing following her techniques. Her famous five series has even Influenced the characters of colours of the moon as over the years they have evolved from mystery solvers, to ninjas (we don't have to talk about that) and now, superheroes."

Q2: What's the best part of your day?

"The best part of my day is usually when I have a lesson with my friends as it's just such a highlight to be able to see them and spend time with people as crazy as myself, even if I don't necessarily hang out with them at break and lunch. I also love when I can be influenced by something as simple as walking to school or being in science and it can give me a whole chapter idea, that is definitely another favourite as I can evolve it into a fully fledged storyline over a school day."

Q3: What do you find most difficult about writing a story?

"The thing I find most difficult about writing a story is trying to put my ideas into words. I have a separate app where I write down notes every time I have an idea, and I have planned out 5 books, but I am still on the tenth chapter of the 1st book because I find it so hard to change my idea into a chapter and I am usually not happy with it turns out. That is very difficult."

Q4: Who is your favourite author?

"My favourite author...hmm. I'll be honest here, I don't really read books. When I was younger I used to go through about 8 books a week, but as I've got older and I have become dedicated to more things I have little time for reading. I am slowly reading through the maze runner series, and am planning to go into Harry Potter at some point. When I was younger my favourite author was probably Jacqueline Wilson, and now it's probably James Dashner, so I'd say the two are in par."

Q5: What books have most influenced your writing?

"The hardy boys was probably quite a big one for me, also famous five. I take most of my inspiration through television series'."

Q6: Tell me more about Colours of the Moon.

"I started writing colours of the moon in September, but before that I had started writing another version which I had to abandon due to lack of ideas for the plot. Colours of the moon is probably the most important thing in my life, it's the thing that keeps me going, that forces me to get up in the morning. These characters, this plot, mean the world to me and dominate my every thought. The only thing i truly want to accomplish on this world is bringing them to life, and to have others love them like I do. I plan to make a book series out of colours of the moon called 'the moonstone series', and my biggest hope for them is that one day they can establish a fan base and become perhaps a film or tv series. These characters, this world, are the most important things to me, and, I honestly don't know how to stress this enough, that I would only die happy if I have made something of them (Very morbid I know, sorry).

Q7: What key challenges are you faced with when writing this book?

"My key challenges faced with this book is that I find it hard to put my ideas into words and find the time to write, which is super frustrating as I know exactly what I want to write, i just don't know how."

Q8: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

"My most interesting writing quirk is that since I was little I have always been able to take little things and turn them into something else. Sorry, that was vauge, let me elaborate. For example, when I was in science one day (I get most of my inspiration in science as I'm always day dreaming as it's so boring, yawn), I looked out of the window and looked at a nearby building, of large cylinder shape. I noticed a bright red light on top, and it just clicked, and that became one of the most important places in my story. I literally went swimming the other day and it became a whole storyline, imagining my characters in the same place as me and what they could be doing there. It is honestly such a gift to be able to do this, and I wonder if it's just a natural writers thing. Being able to do this is the reason why I knew I was meant to be an author, because it is honestly so special to me and amazing that I can come up with people, ideas and a whole world by using inspiration around me."

Q9: What comes first, the plot of the characters?

"For me, the characters always come first. The plot has already changed several times, with the characters having to integrate into what ever I throw at them. But they are just so important to me. For me to have changed from having my characters in my books as me and me family, with the same names and characteristics, to me and my school friends with different names and the same characteristics to making up entire people, with their own looks, backgrounds, names and separate personalities and struggles."

Q10: Tell me more about the characters you create.

"Something else that is very important to me with these characters is representation.

Spoiler alert!

Liam represents a lot. He is half Romanian, and struggles with, well, being perfect. His parents never paid him any attention, and he's spent his whole life trying to be recognised and do well, but the people he tried to do this for never gave him a thought. This is representation for children who are under a lot of pressure to do well, whether from family members, or just under pressure from peers or themselves. It's so young people have someone to relate to, and they can see that you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be you.

Lola is Spanish, and has to live with a family who are corrupted by drugs and violence. I know that this isn't a completely normal circumstance, and it can be a bit extreme, but she's for children who perhaps have parents who are addicts. It's so that it shows everything in life isn't just butterflies and rainbows, and it's representing that things like this so exist in youth, and young people do have to grow up in similar backgrounds to hers.

Aiden has anger issues he has inherited from his father, a man who drove away his mother and his sister, people who left him behind because they think that they are both too alike, and Aiden knows they're right. His father is also a bit of an alcoholic. Aiden is afraid of himself, of loosing control and hurting people, especially after getting powers that can essentially only hurt people.

Lauren is the main LGBT+ representative of the book, but there are other LGBT+ characters. Her mother is obsessed with living the life she didn't through Lauren, and is rather controlling, however she completely ignores Lauren when she routinely reminds her she is gay. Because of this Lauren is quite insecure, meaning that she becomes an easy target for bullies (mean girls) in her year.

Zack is Japanese, and a bit different from the others in the sense that he actually has a great family who he loves. The only problem is that he has heart disease, something that can cause a very protective and overbearing family, and is a potential problem when you become a superhero. Zack is in my opinion the best role model and representation. He shows that children can grow up with illness, but they are all superheroes, and Zack still lives with these problems that particular audiences can relate with.

Georgia is half Indian, and is an orphan who is growing up in foster care. This, obviously, makes her a role model for children growing up in a similar situation. Georgia is the youngest and probably the most funny and likeable character in the team, as well as being very smart and good with computers. She shows that what ever background you grow up in you can still accomplish great things, a message that is mirrored through all the characters."

~Don't forget to vote~