Interviewing ELatimer

1. Do you have a favorite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special.

"Probably Cora, one of the coven members from Witches of Ash and Ruin. She's a very complicated, morally grey character and she was really fun to write."

2. Were there scenes or characters you ended up cutting for your story 'Witches of Ash and Ruin' you wish you could've kept? Describe them and the decision-making process.

"I had a very fun kissing scene in the library which I did end up cutting out, just because, by then, the tone of the book had become fairly dark and it didn't quite match up."

3. Were you a young writer, a late bloomer, or something in between? What advice would you give to others who took up writing at a similar life phase?

"I was a very young writer, since I can remember. As for advice, I'd just say to keep on doing what you love and don't allow yourself to lose sight of why you do it."

4. What is your biggest motivation to write?

"Honestly, it's more that I have to write. Stories just sort of show up and demand to be written."

5. How many drafts do your books generally to through before publication?

"At least 6, sometimes more. First draft is usually terrible, then I go through for a self-edit, occasionally a beta edit comes next, then my agent, then if it sells, my editor usually does at least 2 rounds with me."

6. How much of yourself do you put into your books? Can you give us an example?

"Every book is different, but using Witches of Ash and Ruin as an example: I put little bits of myself into various parts of the characters, Cora got all my Slytherin-style irritation at the world, Meiner my murderous rage, Dayna my 50-thoughts-a-minute, squirrel-on-speed anxiety brain, Reagan, my fierce loyalty to my friends and determination to follow my passion. But the characters are all super different from me in their own ways as well."

7. If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?

"Harry Potter. I don't think that needs much explanation."

8. What advice would you like to give writers who are struggling with their first novels?

"Don't sweat it, write what you want to write and write because you love it. I firmly believe you should write your first couple novels with wild abandonment and zero intention to publish. Share it with friends, read it to your relatives, post it on Wattpad, but don't worry about publication until you've got a few books written. It's very easy to turn your attention to publishing and obsess over it, instead of focusing on improving your craft."

9. If you were to watch your favorite book turn into a movie, which would you choose? Or would you rather keep it stayed as a book?

"I was already able to see my favorite author, Neil Gaiman's Good Omens turned into a (wonderful) show, so I'm more than happy to see my favorite books come to life on screen. You never know what you're going to get."

10. What is the most difficult part about writing for you? And how do you overcome it?

"Revisions, hands down. I just have to go back to my writing journal and see what point in the process I start whining and complaining to myself, remember that I always go through this with each new book, and then tell myself to get on with it."