Chapter One: Who Am I?

1

Have you ever thought your life was missing something? Maybe it was missing a person? Well I know how that feels, I've had a empty feeling in my stomach for quite some time now. The emptiness only grew worse, when my parents divorced.

My parents divorced when I was about twelve, my mom got us in the custody battle. I do talk to my dad more now that I'm living alone. It isn't all bad though, both my parents remarried  after the divorce. Which is good, I just want both of them to be happy.

The only thing I hate about being so close to home, is that I'm required to be home every Sunday for family dinner night! My mom hates when all the kids are gone.

I snap out of focus and look at the time, speaking of family dinner night. Tonight's family night, I better get going. I stand up and go change my clothes, I walk over to my closet. I look through my clothes and pick out a dark emerald green long sleeved dress. Since the dress only goes to my mid thigh I grab a pair of black tights. I quickly get dressed.

I sit on the end of my bed pulling on my boots, while I tie the laces; I think about what I have to do tomorrow. I have class from from eight in the morning to just after lunchtime. Then I have a shift at the library. Since it's Monday tomorrow, I should probably study after work. I stand up and go over to my mirror, I stare at my reflection. I give myself a frown.

"Get more sun, Todd." I say while looking at my very fair reflection

I grab my tiny crescent moon necklace, I open the clasp and put the chain around my neck. I fasten the clasp, then go put my cropped black leather jacket on. I grab my car keys, purse, and phone.

I head down to the parking garage, I lean my head on the elevator wall and think. "Luna Todd, I think you need to lighten up. It's just family dinner, you love your family.

The elevator dings, then the doors open. I walk out of the elevator and go towards my car. My cute black Hyundai, that I got as a high school Graduation gift. I click the button on my keys, my car unlocks then I open the driver door. I climb in, I shut the door and immediately lock the doors. I put my purse on the passenger side seat. I press the start button then pull my seatbelt on. I click it in to place then drive off.

During my drive my Dad calls me, I sigh and press the accept button. I clear my throat and say "Hi dad."

"Hi Luna Moon-a!"

I hate the nickname Luna moona, I was given it as a baby, clearly it stuck around.

"How was your week, Dad?"

"Pretty good, Heather and I went to the lake today. Couldn't pass up such a beautiful day, took the dogs with us."

Ah yes, Heather my step mother. My dad married her about three years after the divorce. She's a nice lady, her pride and joy's in this world are cooking, dogs, and gardening. She couldn't have kids, so her and my dad adopted two dogs and left it at that.

"Glad you had a good day, you guys deserve it."

"How was your day?"

"Good, just studied. Stayed home for most of the day, I'm heading to mom's right now."

"Oh yeah it's Sunday. She still doing the family dinners?"

"Yeah, her and Jeff have been wanting to do a barbecue night, I think that's what they're doing tonight. Since it's Labor Day and Danny goes back to school tomorrow."

My stepdad Jeff came in to my life when I was a teenager. Mom met him on a cruise she took, they married six months after that. I'd say I was worried about her but, I think she made the right choice.