Chapter Forty One: Solid Ground

41

I didn't wanna get up this morning, I wanted to stay in bed with Ricky. He woke me up by kissing me all over my face. I whine and try pushing him away. He chuckles and scoops me up in his arms.

"I don't wanna go. I wanna stay with you. I'll take my chances with Nate." I grumble against his chest.

"Absolutely not."

"Why can't I wait till after your meeting? I can at least do that."

"No baby, you heard Winter. Nate will expect you to be with me."

"Well then he's smart."

"Or you're just very predictable." He chuckles

I look at him "Rude."

"Come on,You need to eat. I made you waffles. You need something warm in your stomach, it's freezing out there."

He walks downstairs and sets me on a bar stool in the kitchen. I reluctantly let go of him and grab my fork to eat. Since I basically skipped dinner last night, I'm pretty hungry now. I look over and see Alfie eating his meow mix on the floor.

"Are you happy?" Ricky asks me

I look at him "yeah, of course I am."

"I hope so."

"This just isn't how I thought I'd be spending the morning after my engagement."

He walks over and sits with me, he lays his head on his hand.

"Trust me, this isn't how I wanted to spend it with you either. When we're back together, I promise I'll make sure we'll celebrate. The right way."

I smile "what's the right way?"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise."

"No, it wouldn't."

"Eat. We're leaving soon."

I nod and cut in to my waffle. He smiles at me then stands up. He walks over to the fridge and opens it. He takes out the milk, I look over at Alfie who's still eating.

"Wait? Who's taking care of Alfie? While I'm away."

"Winter said she would. She loves Cats, Chris won't let her have one. So, I figured this could be a compromise."

"Is he gonna be okay there?"

"Yeah, he'll be fine." He pours me a glass of milk.

"Okay.." I say skepticism laced in my tone

I finish up eating, then I head upstairs to change. Ricky said he wants to get going in twenty minutes. I don't have time to mess around, I walk over to my first duffel. I take out some black jeans, they have thin slits over the knees. I quickly put them on and button them.

I look over at the bed, I see Ricky's flannel from last night. I walk over and pick it up, I hold it up to my mouth. I smell the shirt and I smile, I love his cologne. Since I'm gonna be gone for, who knows how long. I'm going to take his flannel. Yes, he wears it all the time. I want it to think of him.

I take off my shirt and throw it in the hamper. I pull on the flannel and fasten the buttons. It's really baggy on me but, I love it because it's his. I look at my hand and I see my engagement ring. I smile widely and I squeal, I start dancing around.

I stop and I climb up on the bed. I stand up and start jumping on the bed. I smile to myself and I keep jumping. While I jump, I see Ricky walk in to check on me. He smiles and walks over "I thought we were leaving in twenty."