04

May 23rd 2019
2 years later

Wiping tables, juggling half empty china, counting change, steaming milk—what my days consisted of for eight hours, five days a week. 

My job at the local coffee shop 'The Steam" was basically a job of cleaning latte stained dishes and running around for eight hours hoping I don't spill boiling hot liquids on my uniform or worse— someone else.

But, I liked my job for the most part. I enjoyed the people and the conversations articulated between them. It was a small coffee shop but a very busy location for the most part so I was more then happy when I had my downtime during the occasional slow hour. I was an avid earl grey tea drinker so the job definitely fed my addiction which is always a plus. This was definitely not what I want to do for the rest of my life, but it's my transitional job until I get into the college I want.

I graduated high school about a year ago, and I plan to go to college. But the reason why I'm here bussing tables in my hometown cafe instead of sitting in a dorm room studying my passion was because I wasn't financially ready and haven't had the built up portfolio needed in order to be enrolled in the fall term. I want to go for photography; it is and will be my only passion. I want to have New York art shows and chain studios one day, it's been my dream since the ninth grade when we watched a documentary in class about becoming your own staple and brand. Photography has been my only safe haven where I get to be alone and no one told me what to do. I had coordinated life steps in order to reach my own idea of happiness and if things didn't fall in line then I didn't know what to do.

The first step was build my portfolio, and I did. The second step was work my ass off to save up money for a first instalment of tuition in the winter term, and I did. The third step was to book a meeting with the chair of the universities photography program to review my application, and that was today.

Today I was going to complete step three out my thousand other steps.

I had a meeting at three today in the admissions office of NYU. They're going to review my application and portfolio for approval so I can be enrolled in the winter term. My shift doesn't end until three but my coworker is letting me sneak out at one thirty so I had time to change and drive up to the university. I was so excited but also extremely nervous. Not to sound dramatic, but this meeting was going to make or break my future plans. If I don't succeed this step then I don't know what I'll do, I have no backup plan.

It was just after one o'clock, and my stomach was in knots. I had fifteen minutes left so I was just trying to tie up any loose ends when it came to the cleaning. I was really grateful that Leah was covering for me so I could leave early, she knows how important today is. So I was currently crouched down behind the counter, putting away china mugs and organizing the saucers on the shelves.

I really need to get into this school, it's all I wanted. This school was really pretentious and strict with the admissions, so I hope I was enough for them. I just had to keep my head clear and avoid any distractions unt—

"Aven.." A mans voice cut off my erratic thoughts.

I froze from my crouched position that hid me from anyone in the store. Immediately that voice was way too familiar and it was the last voice I wanted to hear right now, especially today. I rolled my eyes where he couldn't see me, sighing to myself.

"I told you to stop showing up at my work." I stood up confidently because I knew exactly who it was.

Then low and behold it was exactly who I guessed. He was sitting there on the counter stool in his patchy football jacket that was practically glued to him all through high school, silver eyes connected to mine. I've told him politely so many times not to bother me while I was working, and today is not the day for this.