New Roomate

I opened the door, seeing a girl unpacking her boxes. She looked up and smiled at me. I walked over, smiling back "I'm Hunter." I put my hand out. She shook it "I'm Ellie Rae but you can call me Ellie." "Nice to meet you." I put my bags on my side of the room, starting to unpack my boxes.
"So where are you from?" I asked her. "New York." I continued to organize and set up my room, "a city girl." She laughed a little "yes, born and raised. And by the looks of your clothes you're a–" I nodded "Country girl. I'm from Stanley Kansas." She stopped "Stanley?" I nodded, looking at her "yeah, why?" She shook her head "nothing, I just know a few people from there." "Oh really?" "Yep. They don't live too far from here either. Maybe you can meet them soon." I smiled a little "that'd be fun."
"So what're you in LA for?" She asked me. "I'm an aspiring photographer. I do horseback riding and barrel racing on the side." "Bringing any horses to LA?" I nodded "Yeah, my two babies; Sadie and Imperial."
"I'd love to meet them! I'm in my third year of vet school." "I can make it happen! They should be here by the weekend." "Awesome!"

We continued unpacking and decorating our sides of the room for the next few hours. By the time we were finished it was dinner time.

We decided to order pizza and just have a girl's night in

We decided to order pizza and just have a girl's night in. Classes didn't start until next week so Ellie and I just hung out, learned more about each other, and explored the campus and city together for a few days. I knew we were going to be best friends if we weren't already.
The weekend rolled around and it was already Saturday.
I got dressed

and came back into the room

and came back into the room. "Hey, I'm headed to the stables. My horses should be coming in soon. Wanna go?" Ellie looked up at me and nodded "duh!" We went downstairs and got into an Uber.
~10 minutes later~
We arrived at San Pascual Stables where I was going to be boarding my horses. We got out and a truck was pulling up. "Mike!" I said and he got out of the truck. I hugged him and he smiled "hey little lady!" He picked me up, spinning me around. "How'd they do on the trip?" I asked him. "They did wonderful. Imperial was being himself of course." I laughed "of course he was." Ellie just stood there "oh!" I laughed, "almost forgot." I grabbed her hand "this is Ellie, my roommate." Mike tipped his hat, shaking her hand. "I'm Mike. I work with Hunter's family in Stanley." Ellie smiled, shaking his. "Nice to meet you."
We unloaded the horses, walking them to the stables. We let them settle for a little bit "this girl, this is Sadie. She was rescued from a slaughterhouse. Crazy people. Sadie doesn't barrel race but she does now how to ride and jump." Ellie and I pet her for a little bit. We walked over to Imperial "and this." I clicked my tongue and he came over, whinnying at me. I laughed "this is Imperial. This is my big boy." We pet him. "He's my barrel racer. I learned on him and he taught me everything I know. We've won many championships haven't we boy?" I smiled, kissing his nose. "Wanna see?" I asked Ellie. "Really?" I opened the stable door "course. He's dying to be ridden." I grabbed a lead and walked him out to the arena. I tied him to a post, going back in and grabbing his saddle and bridle. I threw them on him, getting on. "Maybe after I'll let you ride." I looked at Ellie. She laughed hesitantly. "On Sadie." I squeezed my heels and Imperial took off.
Around barrel 1, then two, then three, running out of the arena and stopping. Ellie walked over "woah." I laughed, patting him. "My champion." "So do you want to go for a ride? We can just ride around the stables. It's pretty big land I'm sure we could find a path too." Ellie nodded, hesitating. "I'll attach Sadie to Imperial and it'll be good." I hopped off "we'll get you a helmet and don't worry, Sadie's calm. She loves trail rides." She nodded, following me into the stables. I tied Imperial and opened Sadie's stable door. I put a lead on her and tied her next to Imperial. I kissed her nose, before grabbing her saddle and halter. I put them on her, showing Ellie how to. I handed Ellie a helmet and she put it on.

"Can you grab those mounting steps?" I asked Ellie. She nodded, grabbing them and followed me. I grabbed the reins of Imperial and the rope on Sadie and led them out of the stables. She put the steps down and I positioned them next to Sadie. She walked up the steps and stood next to Sadie. "Just put your left foot in the stirrup and swing your right leg over." She did so, and held onto the saddle horn. "There ya go!" She smiled. I moved the steps, mounting Imperial. I grabbed the long rope attached to Sadie's halter and tied it to Imperial's saddle horn. It's not the proper way but it'll work. I clicked my tongue and Imperial started to walk, Sadie knowing to follow next to him.
~a few hours later~
We returned to the stables and put the horses away. "How was that?" Ellie took her helmet off "amazing! It was so much fun and so relaxing." I nodded "best way to get your mind off of things."
We headed back to the dorm. I kicked my boots off, and put my hat on my bed. "I'm going to shower." Ellie said. I nodded "sounds good. I'll shower after and then we can get dinner."
Ellie grabbed clothes and went into the bathroom. I grabbed my laptop, watching Netflix.