Bless the Broken Road

Imperial and I did two practice runs to prepare for the race. Both in the 14s which would maybe get me first.
I looked at the time. 1:45 the clock read. I looked up at Liam as I was resting my head on his shoulder. He looked down at me, grabbing my hand and holding it. "You're going to do great. 14s isn't a bad time."  I scoffed "Yeah, unless Callie beats me again."
"Who's Callie?" Ellie asked. "She's one of the best barrel racers here in Topeka. Always beat me at anything and everything."
"Well, you're amazing Hunter. I bet you'll finally get your turn." Caleb said. "I hope so."
I got up, putting my hat on and walking out of the arena. I untied Imperial then got on him. I patted his neck and looked at everyone walking out of the trailer. "You've got this babygirl." My dad said. "Remember no matter what happens.." my mom said "there's always another." I sighed as they headed over to the bleachers to wait for me. I walked Imperial over to the tunnel. Callie was doing her run right now so I had to stay out of the way when she came through. I stood there watching as she passed the last barrel and came basically soaring down the arena towards me, eventually slowing her horse down. She walked up beside me, stopping "Think you've got what it takes after moving to LA?"
"For your information Callie, I practice every day in LA with Imperial." "Maybe if you lose this you can be a dressage rider with your little Sadie." "Wow you remember my horses' names. Someone seems a little obsessed."
She rolled her eyes, walking away. I walked Imperial into the tunnel. "Okay boy, this is it. We've got new people watching and they're all here for you. Don't listen to Callie, she's just being the snobby little brat she is. We worked hard every day up to this point and we're finally here. We can do it."
The announcer stated that Callie ran a 14.5 which wasn't her personal best but it was good enough right now for first place. I took my hat off, running my fingers through my hair and put it back on. "Alright Imperial, this is it. Our personal best is a 14.3, you've got this."

The announcer started speaking again "next will be number 245 Hunter Miller on Imperial."
Imperial and I emerged from the tunnel, going as fast as we could. First barrel down, the money barrel, 60 feet. 1 down 2 to go. I could hear the announcer speaking but didn't pay much attention to detail. Second barrel down, 90 feet away. Last barrel coming up. I could hear my family cheering from the bleachers. 105 feet down and over the score line. The timer stops and I slow Imperial down. I come back into the arena out of the tunnel to hear what the announcer has to say.
"Look at that folks! A time of 14.3 for #245 Hunter and Imperial! That puts her into first place by just .2 seconds! Congratulations to Hunter and Imperial!" I covered my mouth, my family screaming from the bleachers. I received my prize money and a trophy. We took some pictures individually and with everyone else.
Then my family and friends came onto the arena and we took some photos.
After everything, I rode Imperial out of the arena and got off, hugging everyone. They all congratulated me and said they knew I'd win.
I heard the announcer say my name again and I looked at my parents "what do you think they want?" They got worried looks on their faces but tried to hide it "Maybe they want more pictures." My dad said. "Or they forgot to give you something." my mom said. I looked at the arena, hearing my name called again. "Take Imperial with you." My dad said. I nodded, climbing back on and walking to the arena. I walked through the tunnel and could hear a song being played. It was Bless the Broken Road. I looked around, confused. I found the announcer and looked at him. He was just smiling. I was facing away from the tunnel, watching the crowd stop in their tracks to see what was happening.
They all started pointing behind me so I turned Imperial around, seeing Colby walking in the arena. I didn't see Caleb taking pictures and Brandon recording. I gulped "Colby what's–?" He pet Imperial then walked over to me. "Can you come down?" "I'm scared.." I said softly, swinging my leg over and stepping off.
Colby grabbed my hands "Hi." I said watching him. "hi." He said, smiling. His hands were sweaty and he was a little shaky "what's wrong? Are you okay?" He chuckled, nodding "I'm fine. You're probably wondering what I'm doing and why this song is playing over the speakers." I nodded, listening. "Well, I told you I wanted to make it special." I bit my lip and furrowed my brows, "make what special?"
He smiled again, holding my hands. "Hunter, I put you through crap for so many years, but I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you.
That every long lost dream lead me to where you are.
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars.
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms.
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you.
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true.
That God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you. I want the 24/7 late night texting, the cuddles, the kisses, the adorable picture taking and posting them, the hand holding, and the relationship."

He got down on one knee and pulled out a little box. I covered my mouth "Colby.." Of course I immediately thought he was going to propose. Why else would a guy be getting down on one knee?!

At this point I was in tears, them running down my face. The lyrics were so meaningful and hearing him say that made me cry but I was happy.
He opened the box "will you be my girlfriend?"

I covered my mouth again, nodding "Y-yes." His smile grew and he put the three rings on my finger. He stood up, hugging me and then kissing me. I smiled, shaking, crying, but happy. We pulled away and I looked at the rings "they're perfect." We couldn't stop smiling "and they're on that finger because one day I'm going to replace them. I promise."
We hugged and kissed again.
My siblings and the group came running out, hugging me. My parents walked over and hugged the both of us.
"Did you like your surprise?!" Liam and Ellie asked. "You guys knew?!" "We all did!" I hugged them both. Caleb continued to take photos until I went to hug him. I laughed, "thank you amazing photographer." Brandon scoffed and I hugged him "and my amazing videographer." He laughed "You're welcome."

Today, I won the race. I also won the boy of my dreams.