Chapter Nineteen

"I want a kiss from you, not her." -Hudson Diamante

----------

A L L Y ' S    P O V

He was right, there's a lot of people here. The other nominations are all standing around, with their escorts. Tanner, Tyson, Hudson, and I are all talking to each other. Tanner took a pretty, Asian girl with long black-brown ombre hair. Her name's Sarah. Tyson took Riley, a girl in my French class. She has pretty dark brown skin, with blue eyes.

Most of the girls here are all extremely done up. They have pounds of makeup on, a ton of jewelry, heels, and most of them are in skirts. They don't look bad, but they all look really extra and fake. I like my outfit more, I'm comfy.

They start to call out the pairs, by their reputation in the team. Hudson says that we'll be last because he's the team captain. I start getting nervous about this thing, not because of everyone watching me but because I don't know what to do really. The guy already called out Tanner and Tyson meaning we're next. Hudson is rubbing my back because he knows I'm nervous.

They call Hudson's name, and we walk out with his arm around my waist in a protective hold. The cheerleaders are doing stunts around us, welcoming us to the competition, and the announcers are standing in the middle with the school's therapy dog connected to the leash.

I smile, following Hudson's lead because he's done this for three years now -- since Freshman aren't allowed to be in the game. His thumb is rubbing against my side back and forth, although you wouldn't think it does, it helps.

The announcer comes to shake our hands when we take our place at the end of all the pairs. "Now that we have all of the contestants, we are free to get started!" The crowd starts to cheer knowing the contest is about to start. He turns to us. "All right, players and girl-players, go take a spot on your right." I look and see that every edge of the field has a different setup, this one had a large tarp that was being rolled out by the helpers and lots of buckets of liquid.

I now realize -- as the helpers dump the liquid on the tarp -- that the buckets are filled with soapy water. A girl walks over to me holding up a bowl filled with folded paper. I take a piece of paper and open it.

'Oil,' it reads.

The announcer comes our direction, "Ally," How does he know my name? I nod regardless, "What did you get?"

He hands me the microphone and I respond, "I got oil." The crowd makes a variety of noises: oohs, aahs, and some dangs. Although Hudson whispers a variety of curses: mostly fuck, and shit.

They went down the entire row, and oil seemed to have the worst complication: water and oil. Oh shit.

"Hudson, since you have the most difficult of the challenge, do you have anything to say?" The female announcer asks.

He nods taking the microphone, "Just that," he looks to me, "Ally, next time you pick my challenge to remember where you stay for this year." He jokes, smirking at me. The bleachers of people blow up in laughter. I shrug my shoulders smiling like I'm not sorry. Which I'm not, I think this will be funny.

"Ok guys take your places." Once he ends his sentence all the players and their girlfriends or friends follow suit.

Hudson turns to me before the guy is about to start the countdown. "Can I get a good luck kiss?" He asks with a smile.

I tap his nose with my finger smiling mockingly, "You haven't done anything yet." I walk away from his view, and he chuckles.

"If I win, do I get a kiss?"