Chapter Thirty-Eight

"This has been a fun experience for her... but it's time to snap back to reality" -Mac Parker

----------

A L L Y ' S  P O V

"...Dad?" Ally's voice rings out. All my family quickly leave the dining room to the hall, seeing my girlfriend launch herself into her father's arms.

"Hello, Ally Cat." Her dad greets in a heavy accent. I look back at my parents, who seem to be happy to see Ally so happy.

"I think she enjoyed her real present." I murmured to my mom. She smiled and squeezed my shoulder.

See, my parents did get her a bundle of electronics, but those aren't expensive. We basically get them for free. I paid almost full price for the watch, but since I worked with the brand previously and I have a code, they gave me a discount. So my family and Mac -- Ally's dad -- helped set up a way for Ally's dad to come and visit.

Outside people think we're spoiling her, which we are, but she's just different in my parent's eyes; In mine too. She's special specifically to my mom.

"What are you doing here?" Ally asks, once coming out of the embrace.

He looks at her with a large grin spread across his features. "These... people and I were talking a week ago about me coming to visit you."

'People?' What did he mean by that. My parents showed the same expression on their faces.

*

*

*

We were eating dinner, and Ally chose to sit next to Mac instead of me. You think you know a girl. I understood though, they haven't seen each other in months. I learned that she has a love-hate relationship with her father. More like, she and her dad have different perspectives and feelings on how they want her life to be.

"So what is your life like back in England, Mac?" My dad asks, trying to start a conversation.

Mac straightens up in his seat, glancing at my dad. "Well, Adrian, It's the same routine every day. I get out of bed, get ready, take the younger ones to school, go to work, pick up the kids and take them to their activities, then I go home and cook dinner, and after I pick the twins up from their sports and such. Normally Alannah's there to help me with the twins, but she's..." He looks at all of us, awkwardly. "...been here."

My mom clears her throat. My dad speaks up again. "It's Aaron. Seems like your very busy in your everyday life. You mentioned twins, you have more children?"

"Uh, yeah." He responds, looking down at his plate. "Twins. They turned nine two months ago." He turns to Ally, "They missed you, you know. They can't wait until their sister comes home from America." Ally didn't respond to that statement.

Both my mom and sister have been quiet, this whole time. My mom is shy, so I understand why she isn't talking, but Mia typically can never shut her mouth. Shockingly, Ally has also been silent.

"We're all kind of ready for Alannah to come back home." He responds, looking at Ally. She smiles back at him, but it doesn't reach her eyes like it typically does. "This has been a fun experience for her, as I've heard, but it's time to snap back to reality." He clears his throat at the end of his words, then points to Mia. "Who's this one?"

"This is--" My dad starts, but gets cut off.

"I'm Mia, future number-one lung surgeon in the world and Nobel prize winner." She introduces, and Mac smiles at her. A forced smile.