Chapter Thirty-Six

-pay attention-

"We're having a party, not going to the Westminster Dog show" -Hudson Diamante

----------

A L L Y ' S  P O V

1.5 months later ~ Christmas Eve

"Stop moving." I command my three month old puppy as he squirms around the bathtub. I shuffle on my knees because of the uncomfortable tiled floor.

"Maybe you should get in with him," Hudson requests looking at my position on the ground.

I sigh in frustration, turning my head to respond. "Or you could do half of his bath."

Hudson chuckled from where he sat on the toilet lid. He went back to looking at his phone. "I think you're doing great on your own, Geeky." His thumbs start tapping away at his phone.

I look down at my clothes: an oversized t-shirt, spandex, some jewelry, and a sports bra. "Fuck it," I whisper stepping into the tub, over the small puppy.

Humphrey quickly turns his small body, once realizing that I was here with him. He started to splash and shake more than before, for fun. My body leaned back and tensed, hoping the water would miss my body.

Hudson just laughed at my ineffective way to shield myself from the water.

I quickly grabbed the dog conditioner, squirting a generous amount on my hands. "Why don't you just skip out on the conditioner? Then 'Spa Day' would have been over." He asks, referring to how I previously used shampoo, clipped his nails, and brushed his teeth.

"Because this stuff makes his fur even softer and fluffy than only using the shampoo." Hudson started to voice his disbelief, but I interrupted him. "Stop disrespecting art!"

"We're having a party, not going to the Westminster Dog show," Hudson remarked, but I ignored him. I grabbed the water wand and started to wash the sods out of his fur. I heard a click but concentrated on rinsing his coat.

"Done!" I exclaimed, raising my arms in the air. I started to drain the water until Humphrey got fussy from the lack of water. "I think I discovered Humphrey's love for the water."

Hudson stood from his seat, petting Humphrey on the head before wiping his hand on the back of my shoulder. He grabs the towel off the counter and spreads the fabric out, holding a corner in each hand.

I pick Humphrey up, not minding how wet he is because I'm already soaked. I place him in the middle of Hudson's chest, and he wraps the towel around the dog.

"He smells good, good job." I smile at the compliment until he continues his opinion. "I do think that some of the 'necessary treatment' you did was extra, but-"

I take my hands and cup some of the dirty bathwater. I walk over to Hudson and quickly pour it over his head before he realized what I was doing. "Nobody asked for your opinion."

While he was still soaked in shock -- and now bathwater -- I took my dog from his grasp then walked out of the bathroom. Before I was out of earshot, I heard him say, "What the fuck, ew!" Which made me grin.

*

*

*

I was in my closet looking through formal clothes. I didn't want to wear any of the dresses that the Diamantes gave me because I have clothes that I can wear. I'm not a charity case. The idea of them spending money on me for no reason has frustrated me in the past, I came here to go to school not start a go-fund-me page.