10. An unlikely question

Another two days passed quickly, Ingrid and Severus spending an awfully large amount of time together.

Today was just another one of those days, the students where extremely nervous about getting a date for the Yule Ball. And it was annoying.

Ingrid had given out about 12 detentions, and had to console a few crying girls. She compared this with Severus each night at dinner, Minerva felt the exact same way. All of the professors had.

"Honestly! Why can't the boys just muster up the courage and ask the girl, it isn't hard. At all."
She complained, taking a sip of the soup in front of her.

"True, but they make it hard."
Minerva replied, rolling her eyes.

"Are we talking about the students and the Yule Ball?"
Asked Filius, who sat next to Minerva.

"Yes Filius."
Minerva said, sarcastically.

"It made choir rehearsal a living hell yesterday!"
He compared, tapping his fingers on the table.

"I wish we could just get it over with, hormones aside."
Ingrid observed, rolling her eyes.

The rest of dinner was in silence, Severus not saying a word. He truly was a strange man, one minute feeling one way...the next feeling another.

Igor approached Ingrid before she could leave her seat however, she rolled her eyes and whispered to Severus.

"Here we go."

He nodded slightly, taking another bite of his dinner.

"Ingrid. I come to ask you a question.."
He conquered, looking happily down at her.

"Oh, what may that question be?"
She asked, plastering a fake smile on her face.

"I was going to ask, if you could spare a dance at the ball on Saturday."
He smiled, prompting her to mentally cringe.

"Oh.....of course."
She replied politely, he took her hand and gave it a squeeze. Before walking calmly in the other direction.

Ingrid turned back around to face the table, Severus smirked at her.

"What are you smirking at?"
She asked, folding her arms.

"You...saying yes."
His smirk grew, making Ingrid's heart soar.

"Well..it would be impolite not to. Now if you'll excuse me, I've lost my appetite."
She left the table abruptly, feeling the goosebumps on her skin become more visible.

He scared her.
Why did he scare her?

Every time she spoke to Severus, even if it was brief and meaningless..her heart rate increased. It was unknown..her feelings towards him.

Soon winter break would be in effect, and Ingrid would be going back to the shop her family owned. To work..and possibly earn some money before the term resumed.

Ingrid didn't even know if she wanted to go to the Yule Ball, it felt terrible to consider it..after she promised Igor Karkaroff a dance. And Severus expected her to be there..

She found herself worrying about Severus more and more, it was obnoxious. But she still worried...and worried.

She still remembered that awkward encounter, when he came and marked papers with her for a short time. When she lent him that book..

He...was undeniably...one of the most odd men she'd ever met.....

"Wandering through the corridors are we?"