22: The toad.

Dolores was irritating, always gossiping and attempting to make conversation with her during dinner.

Tonight was no different, it had been three days and the woman was acting as if she ruled the school..and as if she and Ingrid where best friends.

Which was terrible, because Severus was becoming more distant from Ingrid. They didn't have much time to talk, especially with Dolores hanging over Ingrid's shoulder every time they met.

Ingrid took a sip of her wine, nodding quietly as Dolores rambled on about the ministry and her friendship with the minister. Which did not interest Ingrid one bit.

"Perhaps..you could apply for a job at the ministry! Something tells me..for a pureblood like yourself, that you shouldn't be teaching such an illfaced subject."

Ingrid nodded, resisting the urge to slap her snide little toad face. Dinner seemed to go on and on with her company, Filch made sure to suck up to her also. Of course he did...

But then again, this was better than being harassed by Igor Karkaroff.

Ingrid's thoughts turned to Severus, she remembered the day the term ended. She held that moment close to her heart, even though it obviously held no place in his.

Ingrid thought he may possibly have feelings for her, as she did for him. But it was so odd...she could have feelings for anyone...but the Dungeon Bat.

He was a kind human being, she knew he hated to admit it...and she had no idea why.

She knew how his father mistreated him, and how he was bitterly bullied in school by Potters father and Sirius Black. Two boys she had briefly known because of Amanda, and two boys who made fun of her haircut.

Amanda was quick to protest however, absolutely hating the boys as she did. Whatever friends Amanda had where friends with Ingrid, Ingrid briefly remembered attending the Potters wedding.

The red headed bride being the only Muggleborn that Amanda could stand for more than three minutes at the most. Ingrid wondered if Amanda knew Severus in school, she probably did...but never mentioned him.

Ingrid glanced over to Severus, he stared straight forward. Having not touched his soup, Dolores cleared her throat. Directing Ingrid's gaze back to her.

"Well then. You and Severus are friends?"
She asked, taking a sip of her tea.

Oh no. Code red code red...

".....yes?"
She replied, retreating to her soup.

"I see..."
She smiled, adjusting her little kitten pin.

She soon finished her soup and stood up, putting on her purse and walking away. Leaving a still flustered Ingrid and a very concerned Severus.

"She's, awfully nosey."
He observed, lowering his eyebrows.

"Isn't she? Good lord."
Ingrid placed her hand on her forehead, as if to feel her own temperature.

Ingrid and Severus spoke calmly for the rest of the feast, when Ingrid finished her soup..she began to stand up. Before feeling a small tap on her robes.

"Wait. Before you leave, would you mind...just talking for a moment longer?"
He asked politely, a firm arm on her shoulder.

She smiled and nodded, standing up. She offered her hand for him to pull himself up, which he took.

They calmly walked to a small corridor, standing in front of a window. The students brushed past on the way to their houses, but no Slytherins would be coming this way..and hopefully no other professors either.