17: Unexpected comfort

Later that evening, Ingrid sat at her desk attempting to fix a Muggle MP3 player that the Weasley twins had filled with not so appropriate songs...

She shook it in frustration, as she clicked on various items on the Muggle computer. Nothing seemed to be working, soon enough..she had accidentally cracked the screen.

"Damn Magic."
She whispered, slamming the computer lid down and placing the MP3 player on top of it.

"Someone's frustrated."
Said a voice, she looked up.

Severus stood at the doorframe, smirking at her little meltdown. She rolled her eyes and stood up.

"Can we just leave?"
She asked, he chuckled and nodded.

They walked down the corridors, talking as they did every afternoon. Soon they reached the courtyard, students where everywhere. The Weasley twins where obviously taking bets...and some where making signs and chattering in general.

Severus took her hand, her eyes widened.

"Apparating would be quicker."
He told her, before the world twisted and turned in ways it hadn't before.

Soon they where at the Arena, even more students where there. Filius was striking up the band, Minerva approached them.

"Good afternoon Severus, Ingrid. Good to see you....together."
She smiled at their still entwined hands. Severus quickly took his hand away, Ingrid tucking a strand of her hair away from her face.

"We'd better take our seats, wouldn't want Albus getting any ideas would we?"
She smirked, before walking off.

Ingrid expected Severus to defend himself, but he didn't. He stared straightly forward, avoiding eye contact with her.

They walked slowly to their seats, Ingrid rolled up her sleeves. The heat of her robes being to much for her to bare. Severus's eyes flicked down at them for a moment. Noticing a tiny tattoo of a heart on her right forearm, something she'd gotten when she was only eighteen.

"What is that."
He asked, examining it.

"Uhh....a tattoo?"
She replied, squinting at the man.

"A permanent mark?"
He asked, clutching his left forearm firmly.

"I suppose so."
She shrugged, looking at Filius waving his hands with the band.

"Why would you choose to take something like that? You can never get rid of it...no matter how hard you may want to. Even if it folds and creates an unworldly shape....so much so that you don't know what it is...or what it symbolizes anymore."

Ingrid fell silent, she clutched her arm. Tracing the small heart with her finger, she thought it was cute and quaint. And a good addition to her usually bright and broad personality.

Severus never usually acted like this however, he never got nervous...or raised his voice. He was always quiet and kept his thoughts to himself...yet when he was around her, and her only. It seemed so different.

"Severus. Are you alright?"
She asked, attempting to read his eyes.

A flicker of sadness crossed them, Ingrid sensed it perfectly. Yet as soon as they had changed, they had gone back to their formal emotionless glare.

"Yes."
He mumbled, before turning to face the center of the arena.

Filius stroke up the band, trumpets playing loudly in school spirit. Mr.Diggory stepped out into the Arena, proudly pointing to where his son would be entering. Ingrid smiled and clapped with the crowd, Minerva taking a seat next to Severus.