42: The party.

Ingrid stood alone in the courtyard, waiting for Alexander. He promised he'd be there..

Tonight was the evening of Slughorns Christmas party. Christmas break starting the next day, Ingrid planned to skip her birthday again...and stay at hogwarts.

She had gone back to her old home, it was nearly abandoned. Her shops windows blocked with long planks of wood, most diagon alley shops where closed anyway.

She raised her sisters closet, finding a Gryffindor colored dress. Red and Lacey, knee high. Along with some white heels.

She had pearls in her own possession, she had never worn them before...but decided tonight would be the night to.

Suddenly, she heard a large pop to her left. She turned, and there stood Alexander.

He was handsome, with a short brown haircut and a little bit of a beard. He was short and shrimpy however, and in her opinion..

He was nowhere near as handsome as Severus was.

She shut herself up. She would need to get over him at some point, and Alexander could help her do so.

She brushed a piece of her hair away from her face. It was tied in a tight bun, but fly-aways where common for a woman with wavy hair. And she had quite a few of them.

Alexander approached her, she smiled shyly.

"Wow. You look astonishing."
He smiled, Ingrid nodded.

"As do you."
She said in return, he offered his arm.

"Shall we? I'm excited to see Slughorn after all of this time."
He smiled, she took it.

And so they quietly walked to Slughorns quarters. Him opening the door for her.

This felt wrong. She had no emotional connection with this man whatsoever. She hadn't spoken to him since they had been in school. He was a year under her-even worse.

It seemed that the whole party paused to look at them, Ingrid awkwardly smiled as Alexander took her arm again. Leading her towards Slughorn.

"Why....is that Alexander Bricks?! My eyes must be deceiving me!"
Slughorn smiled, shaking Alexander's hand firmly.

"It is a honor to see you again sir. Once a slug always a slug!"
Alexander beamed, Ingrid looking around.

Of course the trio was here, along with a few other students.

Luna..Neville....Ginny...even Blaise is here!

Ingrid smiled at them, each pausing to lower their eyebrows at Alexander. Who was still having a thriving conversation with Slughorn.

Ingrid looked to the left, and she saw it.

Severus.

His expression was grave. Eyes wide, and mouth slightly open. He stared at Ingrid, and Ingrid stared at him.

Severus closed his mouth, shaking his head slightly and walking hurriedly in a different direction.

Oh.

"Oh evening Ingrid! Is Mr.Bricks your date?"
Slughorn asked, awfully loudly.

"Yes."
Ingrid replied, hoping Severus could hear her.

"Oh, well I was under the assumption you would be attending with Severus!"
He exclaimed, Alexander lowered his eyebrows.

"Severpuss? I'm sorry I didn't hear that correctly."
Alexander asked, Ingrid's eyes widened.