39: Our reality.

Katie Bell was taken to the hospital wing, Ingrid's heart beating faster by the moment.

Her mind was being crowded with thoughts, questions. Usually of whether or not she should tell Severus about her encounter with Antonin.

And how she had accidentally told him about her pregnancy.

Ingrid sat in her classroom, staring into space with one leg crossed over the other. She tapped anxiously on the wood of her wand, her painted white fingernails making clicking noises as she did so.

She thought about how she and Severus would make things work when the baby was born. How the Headmaster would take it....

She still needed to get an appointment at St.Mungo's, to figure out how many months she was. There was a tiny bump on her lower stomach, Severus had realized this...making reality set in for both of them.

They were going to be parents.

Ingrid's heart beat faster, almost in sync with the knocking on her closed door.

"Ingrid! Ingrid why is your door closed-"
It was Severus, Ingrid sighed and stood up..opening the door.

"How's Ms.Bell?"
She asked, allowing him to step inside.

"Lucky to be alive. I don't believe I've ever seen something so....so...."

"Cursed."
Ingrid finished for him, he nodded. 

He looked pale-paler than usual. Long black circles surrounded his chestnut  eyes, she reached her hand up to feel his forehead.

"What are you doing?"
He asked, as she felt for any sign of warmth.

"Feeling your forehead, darling you look exhausted."
She examined him, cupping his face.

"Ing-I'm fine."
He shook his head, Ingrid lowered her eyebrows...reading his eyes.

He was worried-frightened even...she hadn't seen him like this since after Cedric was killed.

"You sincerely don't look fine. Are you sure your alrigh-"

"Im FINE.."
He pulled sharply away from her, leaving her shocked.

She took a breath in, trying to calm her speeding heart.

Why had he-?

They made eye contact, him looking insecurely away from her.

"Oh. Okay. I'll just-sit down.."
She shrugged, sitting back down at her desk.

He sighed, shaking his head slightly.

"We need...to talk."
He said, Ingrid lowered her eyebrows.

"Oh-didn't we already do that?-"

"Ingrid I'm being serious."
He snapped, Ingrid nodded.

There was a silence, Ingrid tapping lightly on the wood.

She watched as Severus stood by the window, clutching his arm..

"Do you know what my world is like. Can you even begin to know?"
He turned to her, eyes icy and unemotional.

Ingrid raised her eyebrows. Shaking her head lightly.

"I-"

"I asked for a yes or no answer."
He snapped, Ingrid leaned forward in her chair.

"No. You haven't told me much...now have you?"
She asked, brushing a piece of her hair away from her eyes.

"Enough. Ingrid....this cannot go on. You and I both know the dark lord is looking for you, and you and I both know you've been hiding things."

Ingrid's heart skipped a beat, and not in a good way...

"Severus...what on earth could you possibly mean-?"

"I mean....that today's events brought an entirely new perspective for me. I cannot continue seeing you, not while the dark lord is looking. I insist you speak to Headmaster about changing your position."

Wait-is he-

"I apologize. But for now, I think things should remain professional between us."
His posture was stiff, eyes cold..

He hadn't looked at her like that since-

Ingrid stood up, a new pit in her stomach surfaced. Her irrational side demanding attention.

"You seem to have forgotten one minor detail. Snape."
Saying his last name made her heart ache, but it rolled off of her tongue so easily. Just as it once had.

She gestured to her stomach, his eyes widening.

"But. Professional it is! I'll forget everything, easy! It's not like I haven't done it before."
She smiled half heartedly, walking away from her desk and towards the door.

"Ing-"

"PROFESSIONAL! Remember, keep it professional. I think now it's appropriate you call me Ms.Felicity."
Tears where welling in her eyes, feeling her absolute worst..she grabbed her coat from the Muggle clothing rack and put it on.

"That's not what I meant Ingrid. You aren't the only person who's suffered heartache."

"Oh?? Did your parents just walk out on you? Did you lose your entire family within a week? Tell me Severus did you get pulled out of school? Have no other career choice than to work at Muggle Shop!! And then, the only seemingly decent men you meet just want to shag you and leave. Cause apparently you're one of those men!"
Ingrid's voice was raising, a rare occasion.

"Ingrid."
He looked down at his folded hands, Ingrid shook her head.

"No! Don't Ingrid me. I'll be leaving now.."
She opened the door, he grabbed her shoulder.

"To where?!"
He was desperate now, but Ingrid didn't care. He'd tossed her around. And she didn't need him.

"To RESIGN."
She pulled away from him and hurriedly walked to the headmasters office.

Before he could say another word.