40: An alternative

Ingrid sat in front of a very concerned Dumbledore.

"Ingrid, I beg you to reconsider."
Dumbledore pleaded, hands neatly folded on his desk.

"I've considered, Headmaster. I do not think it is wise to continue my position as Muggle Studies Professor, at least while..."

"I understand. But leaving Hogwarts completely? Seems very irrational."
He nodded, Ingrid looked insecurely away.

"And where will you go? What about Severus?"

Ingrid lowered her eyebrows, shaking her head lightly.

"He won't miss me."

"I'm sure he will, especially since you are carrying his child."
Dumbledore smirked, gesturing lightly to her stomach.

She sighed again, crossing one leg over the other. She felt alone, and empty. This wasn't new to Ingrid, it seemed to return whenever someone of some value left her life.

She had felt it for the first time when she was only fourteen...when her father left. Then when her mother died....and her sister leaving.

"He wants me away...Albus. He wants us to remain..professional."
She confessed, shaking her head slightly.

Dumbledore chuckled, before placing his hand gently on top of hers.

"I'm sure you two are past the period of 'Professional' Severus is very afraid..Ingrid, you must understand that."

Ingrid raised her eyebrows, having never thought that word would ever describe Severus. He was witty, smart and tough. Probably one of the bravest men she'd ever known.

"And you two...have had a thriving relationship that I doubt Severus has ever had with anyone. Ever."
He patted her hand and stood up, walking towards the large balcony behind his desk. 

"He has told you what the malfoy boy is planning. Correct?"
Dumbledore asked, folding his hands behind his back. Ingrid stood up and followed him.

"Yes. He has."

"Good. It would be a pain if you didn't know."
He turned to her, she cocked her head slightly.

"You two have something I've never seen between two people. Severus has greatly cared for Lily..through his entire adult life, and somehow he has grown to care for you also...maybe even more."
Dumbledore observed, Ingrid nodding along..pretending she understood.

"I'll tell you what. If you promise to patch things together with Severus, I will consider giving you the position of ...secondary librarian."

Ingrid wasn't good with books, but was fairly quiet. The library would be good for her, especially since she had grown quite fond of sitting and thinking.

"And, since you would give up your quarters with your classroom...I'd insist you'd move in with Severus instead."

Ingrid's initial reaction was to smirk, before remembering she was angry at him.

She nodded to Dumbledore, he smiled and patted her lightly on the shoulder. Before exiting the room.

Ingrid sighed. What would she do now? She couldn't just apologize...

She could just-wait a little while.

Wait a little while? Wait a little while?!

This baby is only going to grow, the least she could do would be to make amends with its father..before things got out of hand.

She stepped out of Dumbledore's office, looking around the silent corridor.

It was night time. Most students where probably asleep, but she knew Severus wouldn't be.

She walked down to the dungeons, being as quiet as humanly possible, she didn't bother to knock..instead just stepping inside of his quarters.

It was dead quiet, you could barely hear a pin drop.

All lights where off, except for one candle at the end of the room.

She walked towards it, it was right where Severus's desk was located.

It was neat as usual, the dim candlelight..lighting the area.

On top of the desk was his quill, an ink pad. And a small..blank sheet of parchment.

Severus wouldn't just..leave a parchment.

She lifted her wand from her pocket, illuminating it to examine the wrinkled form. She flipped it, nothing..

"Reveal your secrets."
She said, waving her wand in a circular motion.

And there it was, in scrawny..tightly packed handwriting...a letter.

Addressed to her.

Ingrid,
It read

I understand you've come to look for me, to apologize. And I assure you I should be the one to apologize... But I insist that we do not do so.

Please, watch out for yourself and our child. But do not pay any homage to me, I should not be worth anything to you.

I will always be here to support you both, however this cannot go on.

I speculate that Dumbledore will agree to give you another post, but our relationship as of now should remain  dreadfully...professional

Do not keep looking for me, you won't find me. I will return tomorrow. Do not say hello to me. I caution you, dear woman...do not interact with me.

Not now.

But know, that no matter what.

I deeply care for you. And I always will.

-S.S

Ingrid placed the letter down, feeling the tears burn down her pale cheeks.

She felt the absolute worst, placing her hand over her stomach.

This child was all she had now.

All she had.