33: Pureblood

Ingrid sat at the staff table, as she commonly did. Today was the first day of the term, and things where so much more chaotic than she remembered.

The students chatted away as they ate their dessert, Ingrid hadn't touched her pie. Being too focused on the in depth conversation she was having with another one of her former professors.

Horace Slughorn.

"Oh it's just a wonderful evening isn't it! I remember my first day at hogwarts like it was yesterday...in fact, how was your first day Ingrid?"
He asked, munching away on his pie.

"Panicked. But I had people to help me, just as you do sir."
Ingrid responded, adjusting her hair. Which was tied in a loose ponytail, and now hung down to her lower back.

"Oh, you always where one of my favorites. I don't know why I never inducted you into the slug club."
He smiled, Ingrid arched an eyebrow.

"Pardon sir?"
She asked, he swallowed his food and placed down the fork. Leaning over to her as if he was telling a secret.

"It's a club of my own invention, rather exclusive. Only for my absolute favorite students, in fact...Severus! You where in the slug club correct?"
He asked, Severus's gaze was directed straight in front of himself.

"Severus?"
Ingrid asked, he jumped..as if she had startled him out of complex thought.

"Oh, yes. Very long ago."
He observed, Ingrid gave him a kind glance.

He and her had left early that morning, and taken the train. Rather than boarding their usual carriage, Ingrid had been feeling quite sick lately. In the mornings usually, which called for extra precaution with flying and eating.

He had been tense for the past few days before leaving. Ingrid often asked him what was wrong, in which he returned with a soft smile and a 'Nothing, dear' which she found quite suspicious.

Even Minerva seemed on edge...Was Ingrid supposed to be nervous also? She never considered the real fact that she could die, except when she found herself in a situation like the one she had been in, in the past Thursday.

Ingrid watched as Dumbledore approached the podium, the owls wings flapping open as he did so. Ingrid stopped talking, giving all of her attention to the man.

"Very best of evenings to you all."
He said, smiling at all of the students.

"First off let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn."
He continued, gesturing to the man next to Ingrid. The entire hall clapped for him, as he joyfully placed his hands together in bliss.

"Professor Slughorn has agreed to his old position as potion master, meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by...Professor Snape"

Who-What now?

Ingrid was surprised Severus never told her, she just supposed that Dolores would get a replacement..but not Severus. She smiled and clapped in joy for the man she loved, he merely gave her a look of annoyance. Silencing her clapping.

Nearly no one else in the room clapped, except for the Slytherin table and Professor Slughorn.

"As you know. Each one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight, and you have the right to know why."
Ingrid wasn't searched, she just got off at the platform. Severus said he would be awhile, and she set off.

Walking by Filch and only getting a smile and a nod.

She did wonder why the students were searched, but figured she better listen if she wanted to know why.

Once there was a young man who like you sat in this very hall. Walked this castles corridor stepped on right through he seemed to all the world a student like any other his name...Tom Riddle."
Ingrid raised an eyebrow, confused that Dumbledore was even speaking about this to the students.

A silence engulfed the room, Severus flinched. Ingrid lowering her eyebrows in an odd manner, how on earth could this happen?

"Today of course, his known all over the world by another name..."

Ingrid prayed he wouldn't say it.

"Which is why I pray looking out to you all tonight I'm reminded of a certain fact."
He observed, raising a hand to the mumbling students.

Everyday..every hour..this very minute dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle. But in the end, their greatest weapon...."
Ingrid leaned forward, intently listening to what he was going to say next.

"Is you. Just something to think about..off to bed with you now pip pip!"
He waved the students off, Ingrid yawned. She was quite tired, the night before had been fairly sleepless to say the least.

It dawned on her that she would be going back to her own quarters, she hadn't been alone in three months. And she forgot how it felt to sleep alone-or even be alone in general.

She stood up, wishing Horace a goodnight. Then looking to Severus, he stared blankly forward. Not moving, despite Dumbledore's dismissal.

"Are you going to bed?"
She asked, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

He jumped once more, before firmly nodding.

"Yes. Goodnight Ingrid."
He responded, patting her hand lightly.

She shrugged and walked off, she walked up the stairs and into her classroom. Which she had prepared before the feast, she was happy to have a fresh start with new students.

New people to meet! As a hufflepuff she relished this idea. Wanting to know everyone to the best of their ability.

She groaned at realizing that she had a headache again, fatigue and headaches had become common in the past month. Which was fairly annoying, especially when she was just trying to enjoy her day..

She walked into her quarters to see her trunks sitting in the center, she lifted her wand and casted a spell..making her things lift out of her trunk and move to where they belonged.

She changed for bed, climbing onto the familiar mattress. She closed her eyes and easily went to sleep...but unlike every night...she began to have a dream.

It was of Amanda, she stood on a balcony..looking into the dark night sky.

She wore robes of pitch black, her short brunette hair flew in loose curls around her face. She looked sad and scared, a voice called her name...she turned. And that's when Ingrid saw it, in the reflection of her spectacles....

Was the Dark Lord himself.