6) Don't Let Go

"Y/N! What happened to you!?" Your mother had cupped your bruised, burnt, bleeding cheek. You put your hand on top of hers to comfort her.

"M-mom I'm fine... I-it was an accident." You explained. And an accident it was.

You were hanging out with Varian under his lab while he was working on one of his most dangerous projects yet.

~Flashback~

"You're making what?" You asked Varian

"A machine that will bring hot running water to Old Corona! Pretty cool, right?" He answered proudly. You walked up to the raging machine and put out your finger to touch it.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" Varian immediately slapped your hand away. You laughed.

"What?" You asked, still laughing.

"You'll hurt yourself!" He hugged your arm. "Do harm to yow wittle fingow"

You giggled. "Awwwe, you care about meee~"

"Of course I do. You're my girlfriend." He kissed your cheek. In return, you boop his nose.

"And nothing is gonna change that~." You looked at him lovingly. He smiled and let go of you and walked over to a barrel full of a red liquid. You walk over to a glowing red meter with a trembling black arrow. You lightly tap it.

"Hey, Var?"

"Yeah, babe?"

"What's this for?"

He walked over to you and wrapped an arm around your shoulder. "That just lets me know if the machine is gonna... y' know."

"Go boom?"

"Yeah, something like that."

"Sounds dangerous."

"Not really. As long as it stays away from the middle, it should be fine. Don't worry your cute little head." He ruffled your hair a bit and you smiled.

Boy was he wrong.

A few hours later, small earthquakes started to form. You and Varian knew what was going on. You both tried to stop the trembling by going down to stop the machines, but it was too late. Before you could make it down, the machines blew up. Thank god you and Varian were only injured and weren't... dead.

But, your mom wasn't impressed.

~Flashback over~

Since your mom was a doctor, she knew how to take care of your wounds. It was silent the entire time she was caring for them. As she moved to the cut under your eye, she sighed.

"I want you to break up with Varian."

"WHAT?!" You slammed your bandaged hands onto your living room couch.

"Hear me out. Every time you hang out with him or go on dates or whatever you're doing with him, you come back home with some kind of injury." She started to clean the cut. "He's dangerous, (Y/N). I don't trust him or his father." Hot tears started to swell your eyes.

"But mom, I'm fine-"

"But you're not, (N/N). You could've died, and he could've died as well. I don't want to be in constant fear every time my child goes out. Not anymore." She put her hands on your shoulders. You look at her, wiping your tears before they could hit a cut. "Just please, listen to me. Do the right thing and break up with him."