39) Cold (He Had Me at "It's on the house" part 2)

"Ohmygodohmygodohmygod-" you repeated to yourself. This could not be happening-

Of all people-

of all times-

You were completely unprepared.

This was-

You were-

I-

"H-how do you guys like your frozen t-treats?" You jumped a bit hearing his voice. You covered your face more.

"Oh it's soooo good!" Cora said. You heard everyone agree.

"H-how about you?" He stuttered. You looked up at him, trying not to blush. He tugged on his collar and gulped, sweating. You nervously gave him a thumbs up.

"H-hey! Y-you're our lucky 500th customer! W-would you like to see how we create our delicious flavors in the back as a reward?" He said. Everyone oo'd.

"Yes please!" Valerie's girlfriend said.

"O-oh... only h-her... s-sorry." He pointed to you.

"I-I don't think I sh-" You started before he grabbed you and dragged you to the back and into the freezer.

"Dude!" you yelled.

"Let me see your wrist!" He said trying to grab your arm. You pulled away.

"No!"

"Let me see it!" he tried to grab it again.

"NO!" You pulled away.

"Why not?!" he asked, upset.

"How do you even know I'm your soulmate?! It could be literally anyone else!"

"I check my wrist after every customer! I know it's you! Yours is gone too!"

"I-It's still there! But, you're not gonna see it!"

"GIVE ME YOUR ARM!"

"NO!"

He then tackled you and pinned you  down onto the freezing cold floor. He grabbed your arm and pulled down your sleeve. A blank canvas.

"HA! I KNEW IT!"

"WELL MY MARK IS ON MY OTHER ARM!" You pulled away and hugged your other arm. He then pulled it away from you and checked it.

"THERE'S NO MARK!"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!!" You yelled, struggling to get up.

"Dude! We're soulmates! Aren't you happy?!"

"No!"

He looked at you confused. You sighed, smoke coming from your breath.

"This is just so... sudden. For years now, I've accepted the fact that I was supposed to die alone. I've been waiting for it to come. Hell, even inviting it! An abnormal actually finding a mate is unheard of!"

"I was abnormal too! I-I understand how you feel. Trust me, this is sudden for me, too. " He told you. You sighed. He got off of you and helped you stand up.

"... I'm cold." You said. He sighed and sorted through a bunch of ice cream jugs behind him. He threw a blanket at you.

"Wh..."

"I come back here during breaks. The cold helps me calm down."

You rolled your eyes and walked towards the freezer door. He blocked your way.

"What is it?" You asked, annoyed.

"... What's your name?"

"It's... Y/n. Varian, right?" You asked. He nodded.

"Good, now get out of my way." You reached for the handle. He moved your hand. You groaned. "What?!"

"... Can I kiss you?"

"... Bye." You tried to push him out the way. He refused.

"OKAYOKAYOKAY I-I'm sorry! C-can I just get your number?"

"If you let me out, maybe." He thought about it for a moment. He finally moved and opened the door to let you out. You gave him back the blanket and he threw it inside the freezer before closing it. He led (leaded? Lead??? Led???? English is my first language and it doesn't show-) you back to your table and you sat down, fiddling with a napkin. Everyone just kept chatting.

"I bet they didn't even notice I was gone." you thought to yourself and sighed. Your ice cream cone was gone as well. You looked over at your friends and saw that Cora's boyfriend was eating it. You groaned and laid your head down into your hands, trying to help your pounding headache. You look over at the counter and saw Varian taking someone else's order. He looked a bit happier than when he took yours. You felt yourself smile. You grabbed a napkin and your pen from your purse.

"Thank you! Come again soon!" Varian waved to a leaving customer. You walked up to the counter, placing the napkin down. He looked down at it, blushing a bit and smiling.

"We should.... hang out s-sometime." You said, nervously tapping your foot.

"Y-yeah! Totally!" He said excitedly. You smile and walk out of the store without looking back.

Maybe this wasn't going to be so bad after all.
~~~