two

As the back ramp of the plane opened up to the tarmac below, James Rhodes helped a banged up Tony Stark rise from his wheelchair and descend from the plane

Pepper Potts stood in front of the car next to Happy Hogan, her eyes red and a small smile on her lips as she watched his feet finally hit the tarmac.

Tony waved off the gurney ushered toward him with his hand, rolling his eyes. They settled on Pepper and Happy in the distance as he walked forward, standing in front of them both as he assessed them.

"Your eyes are red. Few tears for your long lost boss?"

"Tears of joy," Pepper shot back with a grin. "I would've just been Deli's assistant, then."

"And what a handful I would've been,"

Tony Stark's eyes trailed over to the car behind Happy. The back passenger door opened on the side, Audelia Motter stepping out as shutting it behind her. 

Pepper stepped to the side as Deli walked in front of her, standing directly in front of her best friend as he sent her a smirk.

"Remember that time, during your freshman year of MIT, that I decided to go to the Kappa Alpha Theta New Year's party-"

"And you didn't come back to the apartment for an entire week?" Deli shot back, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah...this was just like that,"

"This was nothing like that,"

The smirk on Tony's face only grew more. Deli wanted to frown, to fuss over the cuts on her best friend's face and the sling tied around his arm. She couldn't even stop her smile, though, knowing that he was alive and standing right in front of her once again.

"Alright, vacation is over people, time to get back to work,"

With Happy in the driver's seat and Pepper sitting passenger, Tony and Deli climbed into the back seats of the black car, getting situated next to one another.

"Nathan wanted me to tell you that he's glad you're okay," Deli told Tony, looking up in time to see the eye roll he gave her.

"Nathan Porter...god, I thought maybe I'd come home and you finally would've dumped his slut-"

"Where to, sir?" Happy cut in, sending Audelia a nod that she gratefully smiled back at. She knew all too well of her best friend's distaste for her fiance.

"Take us to the hospital-"

"No," Tony cut Pepper off, shaking his head at the wide eyed look on her face.

"Tony, you have to go to the hospital-"

"I've been in captivity for three months. There are two things I want to do. First, I want an American cheeseburger. The second-"

"Of course you'd be thinking about that," Deli mumbled, rolling her eyes as she rested her arm on the car door, raising an eyebrow at her best friend as he gave her a pointed look.