forty-seven

BERN, SWITZERLAND 1999NEW YEAR'S EVE

BERN, SWITZERLAND
1999
NEW YEAR'S EVE

"The implications are limitless! Imagine it, if you could hold the power of a star in the palm of your hand. You could solve earth's energy crisis, you could event create an entirely new universe! Doesn't that sound astonishing?"

At just 26 years young, Audelia Motter was absolutely enthused by the current conversation at hand as she took another sip of her champagne, casting another glance around the fancy party she had been dragged to. 

She couldn't lie and say that the subject matter wasn't interesting, because it was. The implications of what recreating that type of energy source could bring about were fascinating, but the technology simply didn't exist. As smart as Audelia was, she didn't believe that she'd ever be able to create a machine capable of withstanding the conditions.

"What was it that you said your name was?"

"Sowell, James Sowell," he held out his hand for the woman to shake, and all she did was eye it as he put it down, wiping his sweat on his jeans. This was his one chance to impress the lead tech designer of Stark industries, and he was pretty sure he was blowing it. 

"And this idea of your's, to recreate the power of a star here on earth, are you looking to sell the preliminary design plans or build off of them?"

"If you were interested I would definitely sell them to you in a heartbeat, but I'm hoping to start my own company in the coming years. Maybe rival Stark Industries,"

Audelia knew the comment was supposed to invoke a laugh from her, but it did no such thing as she remained unimpressed. She knew she was being slightly harsh on the man before her, but she wasn't particularly in the mood after Tony had ditched her almost the second they had walked into the party.

Before she could answer the man in front of her, she felt a hand on her lower back. She turned, sending Happy Hogan a smile as he shot one back at her.

"I was just coming to get you, Tony plans to step out of the party, I'm sure you'd like to go as well,"

"If by go you mean back to my room alone since I'm sure he's got some hot chick on his arm, then yes," Deli shot back with a sarcastic smile, glancing around the room behind Happy. "You left him alone?"

"He's speaking to a scientist named Yinsen at the moment, thought I'd come collect you first,"

Deli hummed, taking another sip of her champagne before placing it on the tray of one of the waitresses walking by, swapping it out for a full glass. She turned her attention back to Mr. Sowell, who was nervously waiting behind her.

"I'm sorry if I've come off rude, it wasn't my intention. Not exactly starting the new century off with a bang," the man excused her behavior quickly, shooting her a hopeful smile. "Look, James, the designs do sound promising and I love the implied implications, but there's my issue: they're implied. There's no solid evidence for me to work off of because the technology simply doesn't exist, and frankly I wouldn't know where to begin. I wish you the best of luck, I do, and maybe down the line if the technology becomes more readily available I would consider joining the project."