thirty-four

AUDELIA  MOTTER: DOUBLE  LIFE  AS  IMPERIAL

It was the headline she was expecting. Audelia knew it was going to be the headline of every single news station, newspaper, and online article the second someone got a shot of her face.

Before now, if someone were to have found out and blasted her face all over the papers, Deli probably wouldn't have known how to handle it. She most likely would've been distraught that her identity was out. But now, as she smiled down at the newspaper in front of her, she oddly felt nothing but peace.

"Basking in the glory of having your face plastered on the front cover of every single paper?"

Audelia turned around, smiling at Tony Stark as she placed the newspaper back on the table in front of her. Her eyes trailed to the SHIELD agents standing at the exit of the room, rolling her eyes as Tony took a seat beside her at the table.

"I wouldn't exactly say I'm basking in it," she shot back at him, looking back down at the cover one more time. "I guess I know how it feels to be you now, though."

Tony let out a low laugh, his eyes never leaving the side of Audelia's face as she looked down at the newspaper on the table as they awaited the arrival of Nick Fury.

"So...you're pregnant,"

"Trust me, it came as a shock to me, too," Deli told her best friend, looking up at him with a sad smile. "Wasn't planned, not at all. But the headaches, the constant sickness...it was actually Natasha that figured it out and took me to the doctor."

"Nathan must be pretty happy,"

"Yeah, he is..."

Audelia swallowed the lump in her throat, staring down at her hands as she wrung them together, avoiding eye contact with Tony as much as possible.

Tony clenched his jaw, reaching over and putting his hand on Audelia's.

"You know, I hate that you bring out the sappy bullshit out of me," the woman let out a short laugh, finally looking up into his eyes. "You've got my back, I got your's. You always wanted to be a mom, so I support you. And when the stars finally decide to align...I'll love them like their my own."

The sentiment brought tears to the woman's eyes. If anything, Tony Stark's words just made her fall even more in love with him then she already was. Audelia flipped her hand over, her palm connecting with Tony's as she squeezed his hand tightly, the pair just smiling at one another.

Tony was the first to let go, grabbing the file on the table left for them labeled 'The Avengers Initiative'. He went to flip the file open for them to look at it when a hand came down, closing it as it fell to the table.

"I don't think I want you looking at that, Stark. I'm not sure it pertains to you anymore," Director Fury took a spot at the table across from them, grabbing to manila folders and passing one to each of the people in front of him. "Now this on the other hand, is Agent Romanoff's assessments of the both of you. Read them."