twenty-three

"Nous avons couru ses empreintes

"Nous avons couru ses empreintes. Nous n'avons rien reçu, pas même un nom/We ran his prints. We got nothing back, not even a name,"

Tony Stark and Audelia Motter moved together through the prison, surrounded by different French guards on all sides in order to assure maximum safety of the pair. Deli uncomfortably looked around the dark hallways, feeling Tony place a hand on her lower back to guide her once he sensed her discomfort.

"Où allons-nous?/Where are we going?" Tony questioned the guards.

"Là bas. Nous ne sommes même pas sûr qu'il parle anglais. Il n'a pas dit un mot depuis son arrivée ici./Over there. We're not even sure he speaks English. He hasn't said a word since he got here,"

"Cinq minutes/Five minutes," Tony told the guards as they walked ahead of the pair toward the cell door to allow them entrance while Tony and Deli walked slowly behind them. The man looked over to his best friend, concern deep in his eyes. "You didn't have to come here, you know?"

"He wasn't just after you, Tony, and you know it," Deli told him quietly, looking up into his eyes. "He said my name, intentionally came after me. He was after both of us."

The large cell door was pulled open, the guards around reminding the pair entering the room that they had five minutes at most and that was it. Tony only waved them off, his hand instinctively trailing down to Deli's hand as he gave it a reassuring squeeze before they entered the room, the door shutting behind them.

The man sat on a lone bench in the middle of the room, un-moving with his eyes facing the wall opposite them. Audelia shuffled away from Tony as he moved to stand closer to the man, choosing to lean against the wall in the background further away from the man who had attacked them.

"Pretty decent tech. Cycles per second were a little low. You could have doubled up your rotations," Tony stood off to the side of the man, staring at him as he waited for a reaction, but got none in return. "You focused the repulsor energy through ionised plasma channels. It's effective. Not very efficient. But it's a passable knock-off."

Coming to sit on the edge of the bench, the opposite side of the man, Deli watched from the sidelines with cautious eyes on her best friend.

"I don't get it. A little fine tuning you could have made a solid pay check. You could have sold it to North Korea, China, Iran, or gone onto the black market. You look like you got friends in low places,"

The man let out a low laugh, one that made both Audelia and Tony uncomfortable.

"You come from a family of thieves and butchers. You both do," the man's eyes trailed over to Audelia, a smirk on his lips, before looking back to Tony. "And now, like all guilty men, you try to rewrite your own history. And you forget all the lives the Stark and Motter families have destroyed."

"Speaking of thieves, where did you get this design?" Tony cut in, both him and Deli trying to ignore what he had just said to them. The man laughed, his smirk growing.