twenty-eight

"You've got ten minutes," Natasha Romanoff's voice was low as she stood in the doorway of Audelia Motter's bedroom, adjusting her outfit to play the roll of assistant as she watched the woman before her sit on her bed, emotionless

"You've got ten minutes," Natasha Romanoff's voice was low as she stood in the doorway of Audelia Motter's bedroom, adjusting her outfit to play the roll of assistant as she watched the woman before her sit on her bed, emotionless. "We have to get to the office so I can get Pepper on the plane."

"I'll be out, don't worry," Audelia told her, never looking up as she heard her door shut as Natasha left her in peace for a moment to collect her thoughts.

Deli's eyes never left her cellphone, which currently sat in her hand. Shakily, she pressed on her contacts list and scrolled down to Nathan's name, hovering over it for just a moment as she stared down at his contact picture. As quickly as she had pressed his name, she exited his profile, instead scrolling back up to a different name and pressing the call button.

Anxiety coursed through the woman, her fingers tapping against her leg as the phone rung only three times before a familiar voice flowed through the phone.

"Wow, my daughter is calling me first? Is the world ending?"

A small laugh escaped Audelia's mouth, her lips turning up in a smile as she felt the tears well in her eyes.

"Hi dad,"

"Not that I don't appreciate you calling, because I do," there was shuffling from Benjamin Motter's end of the phone, most likely shooing off one of the on staff nurses at the New York retirement home. "But you never call first. Plus, aren't you busy with the Expo?"

"I'm in Malibu, Pepper has been dealing with a lot of the Expo work," Deli trailed off, picking at a string hanging off the bottom of her shirt. "Plus, I know I haven't been able to come out and see you in awhile and I feel bad so I thought maybe-"

"Della-Bell, what's on your mind?"

Audelia Motter swallowed the lump in her throat as her eyes stung from the tears building up. The line was silent as Ben waited for his daughter to be ready.

"Dad...I'm pregnant,"

The line was silent once more, the words hanging in the air. Benjamin was busy processing the news, while Audelia was stuck on the fact that this was the first time she had spoken the words aloud since her appointment just an hour before.

"Well...I'd start celebrating but it doesn't seem like you're very happy about it," Ben paused for just a second to collect his thoughts. "How far along are you?"

"Doctor told me about two months..."

"Then what's the matter, Della-Bell? You always told me you couldn't wait to have kids, why the sudden hesitation-"

"Because I don't want to have kids with Nathan," it was also the first time that Audelia Motter had truly admitted it to herself, that as time went on she was coming to terms with the fact that Nathan wasn't what she truly wanted for the rest of her life. "He'd be an amazing father, I have no doubts about that. But dad...I just can't do this. I can't have a baby with him when-"