fifty-eight

James Rhodes bust through the doors of the building in Pakistan, the guns of his suit raised and pointed toward those in the room, following the signal that he had been given from the President and his men

"Don't move!" The ringing in his ears of an incoming call made him freeze as he stuttered over his words. "Uh...hold on one second. Hello?"

"You ever have a chick straddling you and you look up and suddenly she's glowing from the inside out?"

"Yeah, I've had that. Who is this?"

"It's me, pal," Rhodey couldn't even disguise his relieved sigh and smile as he finally recognized the voice of Tony Stark, who until now the general public thought to be dead. "Now, if I remember correctly, the last time I went missing you came looking for me. What are you doing?"

"A little knock-and-talk, making friends in Pakistan. What are you doing-"

"Your redesign, your big re-brand," Tony's voice cut in, as he looked at the file on Mrs. Davis's son while he drove, MIA written at the top in black marker. Once he turned it over, though, it wasn't MIA: it was AIM. "That was all AIM, right?"

"Yes...?"

"I'm gonna find a heavy duty comm set right now. I need your login,"

"Sam as it's always been, WarMachine68,"

"And password, please,"

"Well, look, I gotta change it every time you hack in-"

"Audelia's life could be in danger, could you please just tell me the password,"

"She's fine, she sent me a message a little while ago. She was in the car with that Maya Hansen woman," Rhodey took a deep breath at Tony's silence, knowing he couldn't get out of the situation whatsoever. "WARMACHINEROX, all caps with an X."

The laugh Tony let out inside his own car was boisterous, his hands slapping the steering wheels as he heard Rhodey threaten the men in the room on the other end of the line.

"Yeah, okay. That is so much better than Iron Patriot,"

"Can you just be safe and give me updates when you can?" Rhodey threw in, knowing they both had to go. "We all thought you were dead, Tony. I'd like to know if you're alive or not."

"That's the fun of being friends with me, Rhodes. I keep you on your toes,"

Not long after ending the call with his best friend, Tony found himself sneaking through the crowd of reporter's outside a local beauty pageant, a cowboy hat sitting on top of his head to conceal his face as he tried to hang low, needing to get to a power source strong enough to do what he needed.