twenty-seven

With fork in hand, Audelia Motter pushed the eggs on her plate around in circles, head resting on her other hand as she just stared down at her food the next morning, feeling almost no appetite

With fork in hand, Audelia Motter pushed the eggs on her plate around in circles, head resting on her other hand as she just stared down at her food the next morning, feeling almost no appetite. Nathan, who had cooked the breakfast, was grabbing his last suitcase and bringing it toward the front door.

"Pepper is flying to New York for the Expo late afternoon. Apparently Hammer actually invented something he wants to show off, think he's scheduled for nine," Deli explained to her fiance, watching as he ate the last piece of sausage on his plate and placed it in the dishwasher. "I don't know why you're suddenly flying out there at 9:30 in the morning when you could just fly out with her."

"They need me out there ASAP, there's a meeting in the early afternoon I have to attend. This promotion came with a lot of responsibility," Nathan explained to her as he poured himself a glass of orange juice and sat across from her at the Island counter. "With the company's merger with the Metro-General Hospitals they need me out there to oversee some important aspects of the merger, along with training. I wish I didn't have to leave, especially after...last night, but I have to."

"Can you at least check in on the Expo tonight and let me know what's going on?" She asked her fiance as he got up, placing his glass in the dishwasher as well. "I'm not sure if I'll be able to head out this afternoon with Pepper, and Hammer has never invented anything useful so I want to know if it literally blows up in his face."

Nathan laughed, grabbing his backpack from the counter and slinging it over his shoulder as he walked around the counter and placing a kiss on top of her head.

"Yeah, I'll head over there tonight for his presentation. I'll call you when I land,"

"Be safe!" she called out as he waved to her, the front door closing behind him moments later.

Audelia Motter sat at the Island counter, deep in her thoughts for a few moments. She was nursing another headache, which was probably brought on by the list of problems that had entered her life last night, along with another nauseous feeling in her stomach that was keeping her from eating the breakfast before her.

Throwing the rest away and cleaning up the remaining dishes, Deli moved into the living room, lying back on the sofa as she grabbed a magazine from the table and put the TV on low in the background. She was prepared to do literally anything to not think about last night.

"Didn't peg you to be an US Weekly reader, not after that piece they did on you three years ago,"

Sitting up on the couch, Audelia looked over to the sliding glass doors that lead to her balcony, seeing a figure standing before them and walking into the room further. It was Natalie, but dressed...differently: skin tight navy blue suit with a familiar logo on the breast and her hair hanging down in curls.

"SHIELD," Deli muttered under her breath with a smile, shaking her head as she recognized the logo. "Honestly, I'm not surprised. Was it easier for Fury to send you since you were already here?"