ten

Pepper Potts sat on the living room couch of Tony Stark's mansion, swiping through the tablet in her lap as she went through the multiple news articles and kept notes on what was being said about both of her bosses

Pepper Potts sat on the living room couch of Tony Stark's mansion, swiping through the tablet in her lap as she went through the multiple news articles and kept notes on what was being said about both of her bosses. Her attention was drawn upward at the sound of the front door opening, hey eyes landing on Audelia Motter as she strolled into the house that was like her second home.

"You look like a ray of sunshine," Pepper slyly commented, her eyes drifting back down to her tablet as Deli moved quickly into the kitchen to pour herself a drink as she threw her purse somewhere on a side table.

"Well, with my attention split between this Gulmira situation, my best friend getting locked out of his own company, and my fiance pestering me about children since two nights ago at the firefighter benefit..." Deli trailed off as she entered the living room, downing the alcohol in her glass quickly as she shot her friend a smile. "I would say I am the embodiment of a ray of sunshine."

"Add on the fact that you're in love with Tony and that should sum it up perfectly,"

Audelia stopped in her tracks right at the edge of the stairs that led down to the lab. She closed her eyes, letting out a sigh as she turned back to see Pepper already looking up at her.

"Look, Pep-"

"I'm your best friend. Even if I didn't see the two of you at the gala, you think I didn't already notice?" Pepper raised an eyebrow at her boss, a soft smile on her lips. "Plus, you got drunk that one night months ago and told me about how in love with him teenage you was."

"Exactly, teenage me," Deli took her bottom lip between her teeth, memories of that gala night running through her head, right before it had all gone to shit with Christine Everhart. "Look, I really just need to go work on some stuff right now. Can we just...keep what you saw between us? Please?"

"Always," Deli sent her friend a smile, nodding as she turned back and began to descend the stairs. "Just because it's what your mother would've wanted, that doesn't mean you have to do it, Deli. You deserve to be happy."

It was those words that floated through Audelia's head as she entered the lab, not even questioning where the hell Tony might be since it was so empty. Throwing her body down into a chair, Deli buried her head in her hands as she desperately tried to put her mind in order.

She knew Pepper had a point. Nathan was perfect. Well mannered, good education, stable job as a doctor, and would make the all around perfect husband. He was the kind of man that her mother used to dream of Deli marrying because, simply put, he was the opposite of Tony Stark in her eyes. 

Nathan was the opposite of the man that Audelia was actually in love with.

"Shit," the woman murmured under her breath, running her hand down her face as she stared across the table to the glass case that Tony's first arc reactor still sat in. Of course she was still in love with Tony, just as teenage her was. He was charming, a playboy that had all the woman pining after him. It was almost impossible not to fall under his spell when you looked into those gorgeous brown eyes.