thirteen

"TONY!"

"TONY!"

Tony Stark was lying on the ground, trying desperately to get himself onto his feet. By the combination of the paralysis wearing off and the arc reactor no longer powering his heart was proving to be more difficult then he thought. 

His red rimmed eyes glanced upward as Audelia dove to her knees beside him, frantically grabbing at his arms as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Lab..."

The one word from Tony was all she needed to kick into gear.

"JARVIS!" Deli called out, heaving and groaning as she tossed Tony's arm over her shoulder, trying to move to her feet while holding his extra body weight. "Open the elevator!"

Moving as fast as she could, Deli had to wrap her arms around Tony's waist, his head resting on her chest as she practically dragged him across the living room, still breathing heavily as she saw the limited amount of movement he had, his heart beginning to fail on him.

With the open elevator to the lab in sight, Tony crumbled from her arms, falling back into the wall of the elevator, his eyes wide and mouth hanging open as he struggled to breathe. Deli darted inside behind him, hitting the button for the lab as the descended, her eyes turning back to Tony.

"Tony, honey, you gotta keep your eyes open for me," Deli's shaking hands gripped his face, turning his bloodshot eyes back to her. "Tony...please, you can't close your eyes on me you gotta stay awake."

The broken and scared look in Deli's eyes made Tony's adrenaline run higher.

The elevator doors moved open as Tony stumbled away from Deli, griping the edge of the wall as he moved out into the hallway, stumbling through the lab doors. His eyes caught sight of his target across the room, the glass case housing his first arc reactor, before he fell to the floor, his strength giving out.

Audelia let out a gasp, pushing through the doors as she dropped to her knees beside her best friend, grabbing under his arms and attempting to move him forward into the room as he tried to crawl, not sure exactly what he was after just yet.

"Tony, come on!" another tear slipped down Deli's cheeks as she fell flat on her ass, Tony's movements becoming slower and his breathing more labored. She shook her head frantically, grabbing his hands as she tried to pull his body weight across the floor. "Tony, PLEASE! Please, you gotta get up! TONY I CAN'T LOSE YOU!"

With every last bit of strength in his body, Tony crawled the last few feet to his workbench, his hands grasping at a tool box as he lifted his upper body just off the floor, his hands reaching out for the glass case on the top.

Deli sat back, gasping as Tony fell back to the ground, his back hitting the table as his eyes stared forward almost lifeless, the color almost completely drained from his face. Her eyes trailed up to the counter, the pieces of the puzzle clicking in her mind as she saw what he had been reaching for: the arc reactor.