fifty-three

Tony Stark let out a sigh as he finally was able to enter his Malibu home, having to ask JARVIS to lift the total security lock-down protocol that he assumed Audelia had put into place

Tony Stark let out a sigh as he finally was able to enter his Malibu home, having to ask JARVIS to lift the total security lock-down protocol that he assumed Audelia had put into place. He didn't blame her, he was planning to do that himself once he got home.

The entire home was dark as he moved through, though the sounds of the news helicopters above could be heard clearly through the walls of the house. There was only one place that he knew would be quiet, and that was the lab.

Descending the stairs into the garage turned lab, Tony was greeted by the sight of Audelia Motter working vigorously at one of the many lab tables. The bracelets for her suit sat on the table in front of her as she moved different wires around, the screen next to her moving rapidly as JARVIS compiled a database on everything the media had on the Mandarin.

"Well, don't you look cheerful," the glare that Audelia shot him made the hair on his arms stand up as he cleared his throat. "Why you working so hard over there? Thought Imperial was in retirement."

"When Iron Man gives out our home address to a terrorist, Imperial kind of has to come out of retirement,"

Tony let out a sigh, taking a seat at one of the tables as he watched his best friend work on her armor.

"Ah, so you're mad-"

"No, Tony, I'm fucking pissed, that's what I am," the clang of the tools on the table rang throughout the room. Audelia's eyes trailed up, anger blazing in them as she stared at the man she loved. "You gave our home address to a terrorist. A TERRORIST! Tony, this isn't a fucking game, do you not understand that? This man and his group have murdered people, what makes you think he's not going to come knocking on the door and come after us, or even the rest of the Avengers? You just put so many lives at risk, but all you were thinking about was yourself and revenge because he made it personal."

"Yeah, he did make it personal Dell, for both of us," Tony rose from his seat, stalking across the room toward her with his eyes narrowed. "That's Happy lying in the hospital bed, Dell, not some random person. It's Happy, he made it personal and I want to end it before he can hurt anyone else, as should you. But no, the woman with the intelligent suit of armor is too upset that I put her life in danger-"

"I'm pissed because you put Aurora's life in danger," the man stopped in his tracks, his eyes growing wider as Audelia let out a strained laugh, shaking her head. "Yeah, did you forget that there's a baby living under your roof? That's right, Tony, a baby. Thank god Nathan was already here so I could tell him to keep her till god know's when. She's not even one, she doesn't have a suit of armor to protect her, she has me. You put my daughter's life in danger, does that change your perspective?"

The woman placed herself down in the chair at her table, burying her head in her hands as she tried to contain her tears, her breathing labored. Tony took a cautious step forward, his heart breaking at the sight of her falling apart before him.