ANOTHER DAY 42

POV YUE
"Are you ready?"  Dylan asks, passing me a brush.
I look into his eyes and nod, thinking how important this moment is for us.
We are about to paint the walls of the library ... Our library.
I think back to the moment in which we decided the colors to use and inevitably I smile.

* Start flashback *

We sit at the kitchen table with a cup of chocolate in our hands.
Dylan gives me some color samples.
"I think we should paint the walls red," he says.
"Nah ..."
"Why not?"
"Because it would end up looking like a sexyshop" I explain with a grimace.
Dylan bursts out laughing and shakes his head.
"What about a beautiful green?"  I propose.
"So it will look like a kindergarten," he answers.
Su enters the room with little Daoming Si on his shoulder and sits down with us without saying anything.
"Cream?"  asks Dylan.
"Trite. Blue?"
"Old. Orange?"
"Exaggerated. Gray?"
"Sad. White?"
"Do you really want to leave the walls of our creature white ?!"  he exclaims, indignantly.
"You're right, you're right! Uff ... It's so hard," I sigh.
Su bursts out laughing out loud.
We turn to him, surprised.
"Sorry, I just had a vision" he chuckles.
"A vision? What do you mean?"  I ask, curious.
"Oh, I saw your future ... You and Didi discussing the name of your child ... And the color of his bedroom ..." he grins.
We both open our eyes, caught off guard.
After a few moments of silence, Dylan exclaims: "What nonsense!"
"Oh, sorry, it's true: it's impossible for you two to come back together ... Good night!" Su smiles, getting up and leaving us alone again.
"Adolescence makes him stupid," Wang He Di mumbles, blushing.
"Don't say that!"
"Bah, you always defend him ..."
We look at each other for a second and we burst out laughing.
"It's late, let's go to sleep. Tomorrow we'll think better about color for the Library," I say, stretching.
We say goodbye and enter our rooms.  I lie down on the bed and close my eyes.
After a while, I get a message.

I stare at the screen of my cell phone for a few seconds, smiling

I stare at the screen of my cell phone for a few seconds, smiling.  Yellow and purple ... I like it!

* end flashback *

POV DYLAN
While we're painting, I decide to put some music in the background.
Yue turns to me and smiles at me.
She is in seventh heaven.
She's wearing a white T-shirt and denim overalls, while a red and white checkered handkerchief covers her hair.
I hold a laugh: she looks like a child at a kindergarten painting class.
I approach the rhythm of music and take her by the hand, then twirl her here and there.
The sound of her laughter fills the room.
Suddenly her hands are tied behind my neck and instinctively mine end up on her narrow waist.
We stop dancing.  I look into her eyes and forget how to breathe for a second.
In these years, I have been looking for other eyes that would give me this feeling ... But only hers have that light, that depth ...
I have to get away before it's too late.  I can't fall for her again.  I can't lose her again.  I can't fall in love.
"Didi?"
"Yup?"
"You're dirty with paint".
"Where?"
"Here!"
With the brush that she still had in her hands, she dirtyed my cheek with purple and she escapes from my embrace, laughing.
"SHEN YUE! IF I TAKE YOU YOU'RE DEAD!"  I scream.
We end up chasing each other throughout the Library.
Don't fall in love, Wang He Di.  You can't really lose her again.

POV JAQI
Caesar and I stop in front of the Library door and exchange a knowing look.
Today is an important day ... Very important!
"Ready?" he asks me.
I nod and shake his hand.
He opens the door and ...
"Oh my! Sorry! We'll come back later!"  exclaims Caesar, closing the door.
"Did you see too ?!"  he asks incredulously, once outside.
Shen Yue was lying on the floor with shortness of breath, while Wang He Di stood over her with his weight in a very, very intimate pose.
"I have no words," I whisper, shocked.
I knew that those two would soon give way ... But not so soon!
The door opens again and Dylan smiles at us with his face as red as a tomato.
"Why did you go out, idiots ?! It's not what it looks like!" he exclaims.
"No?"  grins Caesar.
"No! Of course not! I just wanted ... to paint her face!"
"Ha ha, sure..."
"Caesar! It's the truth!"  Yue complains, appearing next to Dylan, also with a red face from embarrassment.
"But look at you two! You are adorable!"  I smile, clapping my hands.
"Jaqi!"  they both scream.
"Ok, ok, let's pretend it's like you said ... Can we come in a second? We brought you coffee and pastries!"

POV CAESAR
We sit on a sheet on the library floor and start eating and drinking between one chat and another.
"You look particularly happy today," observes Yue, peering at Jaqi with curiosity.
"You say?"  Jaqi grins.
"Mmh ... Now that I think about it, what do we owe this sudden visit?"  Dylan asks, pointing to the pastries.
Jaqi and I exchange a look and she nods.
"See ... We are actually here to give you good news," I say, unable to contain the smile that is popping up on my face.
"Oh ... Come on! Tell us!"  Yue exclaims, getting on her knees.
"Me and Caesar ... We're having a baby!"  Jaqi confesses.
The reaction of our friends is priceless.
They both jump to their feet with wide eyes, covering their mouths in amazement.
"OH GOD!"  Yue yells, running to embrace Jaqi.
The girls begin to jump, holding hands, saying things with such acute voices that only the two of them can understand.
Dylan jumps on me and holds me tight.
"I'm too happy for you, my friend!"  he exclaims, with a huge smile.
"Since when do you know?" he asks me.
"Jaqi did the pregnancy test a few days ago ... And this morning the gynecologist confirmed the pregnancy. You are the first to hear about it. We are a little afraid to tell her parents ... You know, we're not  married ... But we are sure they will understand " I explain.
"Of course they will understand, don't worry! You've lived together for years now," Dylan comforts me.
"I'm so happy!"  Yue claps her hands and hugs me.
"You are the next" I say in her ear.
"WHAT?!"
"Oh well, if you keep rolling on the floors clinging to each other like a little while ago ..." comments Jaqi.
"I WAS PAINTING HER FACE!"  Dylan blurts out, shocked.
Jaqi and I burst out laughing, while our friends are pouting.

POV YUE
While we're coming back home, Dylan doesn't stop a second to smile.
"What good news, right?"  I say.
"Yeah! I'm really happy for Caesar and Jaqi ... They'll be fantastic parents! And I can't wait for the little one to be born!"  he answers, keeping his eyes on the road.
I lose myself watching him, as it
come back to my mind every time he talked to me about our future together ...
"Hey ... are you okay?"  he asks me, worried.
I smile and nod, then turn to the window.
I resigned myself to the fact that there can never be anything between us but a simple and profound friendship ... Really.  I ... I don't feel anything anymore.  And I'll make a new life for myself.  I'm not waiting for him.

Author's corner
Ciao!
HAPPY MG 2018 ANNIVERSARY 😍
I hope you enjoy this little chapter ☺️ 💛💜
A big hug,
Lucrezia