FAMILY

POV YUE
"Sir, I ... I noticed that in this book there are some ruined pages..."
A girl of about sixteen is timidly approaching Dylan, in the library.
"Oh, really? Wait, let me take a look," he smiles gently.
He takes the book from her hands accidentally brushing hers and the girl blushes strongly.
"Er ... I have to go. Sorry!" she runs away.
Dylan opens his eyes wide, frowning.
I reach him with a grin.
"I think she broke the book and just ran away before I could scold her," he mumbles.
"Mmh, you're wrong. Open it" I say.
As soon as he leafs through it, a letter falls to the ground.
He picks it up and begins to read, while his cheeks turn red.
"Aaaah! A love letter!" I sigh, amused by his shocked expression.
"Damn! That little girl! What a trick is this?!" he exclaims.
I laugh and he turns to me suddenly.
"How are you so experienced with these tricks, mmh? How many love letters did you deliver this way?"  he asks me, pouting.
"Tsk, I've never written love letters," I reply, shaking my head.
"Oh, right, my little Shen Yue only received them ... You miss those times, eh?" he grins.
"Those times? What do you mean?"
"When all those boys in the library were courting you, making me mad. But now that you're older, you've lost your charm ..."
"I lost my charm?"  I repeat, holding back a laugh.
"Exactly. No more flowers, no more students around ..."
Should I tell him?
I observe his satisfied expression and I decide that ... Yes, I should tell him.
"Love?"
"Hmm?"
"The flowers I use to embellish the library ... I don't buy them" I whisper in his ear.
I walk away slowly and study his frowning face.
"And who buys them?"  he asks me, confused.
"Oh, think about it ... Apparently I haven't completely lost my charm" I wink and run to another room, hiding behind a shelf.
That idiot.
After a few minutes, I feel two hands grab me from behind.
"Shen Yue!"
There he is.
My big baby.
He forces me to turn around and looks at me annoyed.
"Yup?"  I smile.
"How dare those brats to give you flowers! Behind me! Everybody knows we're going to get married! And then they should bring respect for older people! They should court girls of their age!" he complains, angry.
"Don't be a fool, they're so young," I say, rolling my eyes.
"I'm not being a fool! You. Are. Mine" he grabs me by my waist and presses me lightly against the shelf.
"You still have time to change your mind, you know? You could find a younger girl, perhaps with more charm," I whisper, brushing his neck with the tip of my nose.
"I think I will, you know?"
"Oh, really? Goodbye, then" I pushed him softly and I start to leave, but he takes my wrists and holds me still.
"I love you" he smiles at me, looking straight into my eyes.
I burst out laughing and kiss him.
"Me too," I reply, resting my head against his chest.
His heart beats fast ...
"Today I'm going with the boys to look for the suit for the ceremony" he strokes my hair.
"Try not to be too handsome or you will make me look bad" I mutter.
"Oh, I can't guarantee this," he winks.
I tap him and he hugs me hard.
"I ... I think I will go to visit mom and dad" I say, after a moment of silence.
Dylan doesn't answer, but continues to swing me in his arms.
"I want to come with you" he whispers.
"Really?"  I raise my head to look into his eyes.
He nods and kisses my forehead.
"Then tell me when you're done with the guys, okay?"
"Ok".

POV DYLAN
I enter the cemetery and I immediately see the little figure of Yue, sitting on the ground in front of her parents' headstones.
I approach her slowly and realize that she is talking, so I leave her space and I look at her.
"And I'm happy. Really happy. He ... He makes me feel loved, protected, calm. I'm looking forward to the wedding day! We're looking for a house, you know? Didi is doing his best to find a place  perfect for us. We often talk about our dream home ... And ... Every time I find myself thinking that the description coincides with that of our house. I mean ... The one where we three of us lived, when ...  When I was a child and you ... "
She pauses, taking a few breaths to hold back the tears.
It breaks my heart to see her so fragile ...
"I've never talked to Didi about it, though. Because I don't know if he might like the idea. Would you ... would you be happy, though? True?"
I reach her and put my hand on her shoulder.
She jerks and looks up in surprise.
"Hey," she smiles at me, wiping away a tear.
I sit next to her.
"Would you like us to live in your parents' house?"  I ask her.
"I ... I think ... It is perfect. It is small, but warm and welcoming. It has a beautiful garden, as we want it. It's not far from your home and the library ... And it's already paid ... "
"Wouldn't it be painful for you?"  I interrupt her, worried.
She thinks about it for a moment.
"Honestly, no. I spent years taking refuge there on my birthday, to feel closer to mom and dad, to feel safe. And now ... We are getting married and it's the most important moment of my life and now more than ever  I would like to feel them closer to me ... having them next to me, even if not physically " she explains.
I wrap my shoulders around her and hold her close to me.
"So, tomorrow we will contact your aunt and we'll tell her about this idea" I say.
"Didi ..."
She lowers her head.
"Tell me, Yue."
"Are you sure? If this is too strange for you or ..."
"Shen Yue. This isn't strange. This is beautiful. I am glad that for you that  is a happy place and if living there is your wish ... Well, it is also mine".
I lift her chin gently and I smile at her.
She hugs me very hard.
I caress her parents' photos and I smile.
"Don't worry," I whisper to them.
Yue stands up and takes my hand.  I already know where she wants to go.
When we arrive in front of my mom's grave, inevitably a little laugh escapes me.
Yue looks at me with a questioning look.
"Mom, did you see? I promised you that one day I would come back here with her and that she would have a ring on her finger ... Look, I did it!"  I exclaim, raising Yue's hand.
"When?"
"When, what?"
"When did you promise her?"
"The first time we came here together, on your birthday," I reply.
"But we weren't even together! How did you ..."
"I just knew it" I smile, satisfied.
She laughs and surrounds my waist with one arm.
"You know mom, today I found the perfect suit for the wedding. I can't wait to wear it and say I do  to this small idiot" I whisper.
I feel Yue's hands hold me tight.
"I know you'll be with me that day ... You're always with me" I smile.

POV YUE'S AUNT
"Shen Yue, you know that that house belongs to you. It's yours. But ... Are you sure of your choice? If the problem is money, you know I can help you. I can help you with the expense of the house. You can have a new one"  .
Shen Yue and Wang He Di are sitting in front of me in the living room.
They came to see me and ask me if they can live at the home of my sister and her husband.
"It's not a question of money, Auntie. I ... I really want to live there. I feel it's the right thing" my niece replies firmly.
I look into her eyes.
How can this be the right thing?
"Are you worried about me?"  she asks me suddenly, uncertain.
I sigh and look elsewhere.
Wang He Di gets up, awkwardly, and gives me a little bow.
"I'll let you discuss with each other for a moment," he says, and then leaves the house.
He's a really good boy, I have to admit.
"Auntie ... I ... I feel I have to tell you something, can I?"
I nod, trying to show calm.  Actually, my heart is beating wildly.
Yue takes a long breath and starts talking ...
"I know you were in love with daddy. I know how hard it was for you to accept the situation and let go of the person you loved. And I know it was harder having to say goodbye to him on the day of the accident. I came into your life with no advices, bringing you more pain ... And I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. For so long I felt angry at you ... Because I was just a child and I was left alone in the world. I only had you. But  you were never there for me. I felt lost, empty, alone, guilty ... "
She takes a little break to catch her breath.
My hands tremble like a leaf.
I knew that one day she would spit her remorse at me.  And she's right.  I was looking forward to this day.  Punish me, Shen Yue.
"But in spite of everything, you never made me miss anything. Therefore, my anger dissolved. I apologize for all the pain you felt because of my parents and above all because of me. And I thank you for all that  you did and sacrificed for me. Twice you told me to be proud of me. But now, I need to know only one thing ... Only one ".
I look into her eyes and I wait.
"Have you ever loved me?" she asks me.
Some tears start to fall down her face.
This silly, little girl...
I bite my lips, not knowing what to say.  Where to start?  Shen Yue is definitely flying away from me to start her adult life. She has already done it for a while, actually, but this marriage makes it even more definitive.
Suddenly, she smiles and shakes her head.
"Sorry, forget it," she says, wiping away her tears.
I jump up and lean on the table to hug her.
I feel her stiffen.
"I hated you, Shen Yue. I really hated you. Because yes, you were another obstacle placed between me and my happiness. But I soon learned to love you ... I saw you grow up, my child ... And to every little conquest of you, no matter how hard I tried to remain indifferent, I rejoiced inside me as if it had been mine. I have always been a coward. Pain prevented me from staying by your side and giving you what you needed most. But yes: I loved you. I still love you. And it's me who must apologize for the pain you have had to suffer".
She wraps me in her thin arms and squeezes me hard, shaken with sobs.
We remain embraced for what seems like an eternity.
When we part, I take her face in my hands.
"Are you sure you want to live in that house? Will you be happy?"  I ask her.
She nods.
"Ok then. But if it turns out to be painful for you, remember that I am here. I can help you change home at any time, ok? You have to be happy," I whisper, stroking her cheek.
"Thanks, auntie".
We hug again.
This is my little achievement.
Thank you sister.  Thanks, Shen Jong.

Author's corner
Ciao!
Uff, how I missed writing!
Sorry if I made you wait so long, but I wasn't in condition to write...
Anyway, here in the hospital now I have a lot of time 😂
So the next chapter will come soon 😉
Thank you very much for your kindness 💜💛
I hope this story isn't getting too boring ... Let me know if I'm getting you tired, okay?  😊 Thanks again! ❤️
A big hug,
Lucrezia.