Chapter 6: Have Mercy

Lace's fashion show went great, she didn't trip and the dresses looked amazing on her. but dinner with her parents wasn't going so great.

"That's a lot of makeup honey".

Lace rolls her eyes at her mothers remark, "Well I like it".

Her Dad always the peace maker clears his throat, "So Sophia, Lace told me you got another job"

I smile, "Yes I work at Eddie's dinner".

He nods, "How does that Jimmy guy treat you".

I give Lace a sideways look, "He's...Jimmy".

Her Dad frowns, "If he gives you more trouble you tell me and don't forget my offer will always be open to you".

I smile kindly, "Thank you Mr. Santayana".

For years Lace's father has been offering me a job at his office building as a PA but I have refused him countless of times.

"You should get a job Lace" Her mother tell's her.

Lace nods, "You've already told me mother".

"We'll you didn't listen the first time so I thought I'd say it again. Talk about lazy".

Lace pushes her chair back and stands pulling out her car keys from her jacket.

Her mother has the nerve to be offended, "Excuse me?"

Lace looks up at her Dad, "Daddy may I be excused".

He nods, "Yes baby, be back by 10:30 please".

She walks around kisses him on the cheek and waves for me to follow.

The couple erupt in shouts as we exit the room.

***

Lace drives us to Amir's house. I climb out the car and we walk over to a cozy looking white home nothing compared to Lace's huge three story house.

She rings the door bell and a women with grey hair but a warm smile opens the door letting us in.

"Oh Lace! It's great to see you again honey. Who's the beautiful friend you brought?"

"This is Sophia", I reach over to shake her hand but she pulls me into an embrace.

"Is Amir home Mrs. Smith?"

"Yes he's up in his room let me call him down".

She thanks her and we wait down at the small living room as she calls Amir down.

I look over to a sad looking Lace, "You alright".

She nods, "This is the type of home I want to live in-to raise my kids in".

I nudge her in the ribs, "What's wrong with your house?"

She doesn't hear my joking voice though, "It's not a home, it never smelt like home cooking or had baby pictures around the walls".

She looks at me seriously, "Sophia I'm going to marry him".

I take her hand, "Will I be the maid of honor?"

She wraps her arms around me, "Theirs no one I'd rather have".

***

On the drive to my house Lace fills me in on everything. She explains how on her 18th birthday dinner that her parents are hosting she'll reveal to them everything.

From how she dropped out of law school first month in, switched her major to fashion and design to how she had a boyfriend who was not Catholic.

She was nervous and I was nervous for her.