Chapter 61:Now

MUST READ: As you guys can see the book starts with the present and then on Chapter 3 it goes back to the past. It can help to go back and reread chapters 1 and 2. But from here on it will be written in the present so don't be confused my loves. Comment and vote!

I wake up to the smell of cinnamon and honey reminding that living here isn't as bad because the food is good. I roll over to find Gio already gone. A single orange rose lay on the night stand on top of a note.

I picked up the flower and took a whiff if it's natural scent. Reaching for the card I read it out loud, 'They say orange flowers symbolize excitement, enthusiasm, growth and warmth. Coincidence that I'm feeling all of that on this journey of ours? I think not bella'.

I smile so hard my cheeks hurt. Giovanni has come so far when it comes to showing his feelings and being more vulnerable with me. But we still needed to talk about the Photo and what the future held for our children. I fold the card in half and put it in my suitcase leaving the flower out in the open.

A knock came from the door.

"Miss, boss has instructed that I get you dressed for the day and walk you down for lunch."

I pull open the door to find a nervous looking maid, "lunch? It smells like cinnamon rolls down there."

She nods her eyes still on the ground, hands behind her but I can still see them shaking. "Yes, but boss instructed the cooks to cook them anyways."

I lifted her chin up and stick out my right hand for her to shake, "Please just call me Sophia. I don't need help getting dressed and there is no problem with eating cinnamon rolls for lunch. It's a fun way to sweeten a day huh?"

She hesitates then nods slowly but remains quite unsure of what to say.

I smile kindly, "I'll be down in a few minutes, I just need to freshen up."

***

After I leave the shower I search for something nice but comfy to wear. I think of wearing one of Gio's basic white t-shirts but I don't want to release such an impression as such to these people. Yes the two of us were married, but they were meeting me for the first time. I need to make a good impression.

I end up deciding on a pair of army green sweatpants, a white hoodie and the same sneakers from last night. When I finally finish walking down the flight of stairs, I'm out of breath. Entering the kitchen I am overwhelmed with the loud laughter of men.

An older lady with a dirty apron on is the first to speak up, "hello dear, you must be Sophia".

I smile politely, "yes ma'am, I am".

She flushes a bright red, "Oh dear! Boys, this one has got manners, let's hope he doesn't chase her off now".

That sends an eruption of more laughter.

I feel heat immediately rise to my face and say a Thankful prayer for my dark skin.

She turns on a serious face, "Where are your manners boys? Someone stand up for the young lady to sit!"

I watch as the men scramble out of there seats.

She motions me to sit then sets a plate of cinnamon rolls with bacon, egg and french toast in front of me. I open my mouth to protest on the abundance of food but she gives me a look so I settle for smiling kindly instead.

"So I take that Gio won't be home until night?" I ask.

She glances at me sideways gives me a sad smile but doesn't respond. The men quickly finish their breakfast and pile out of the room. I sigh and peacefully eat mine.