Chapter 25: Their World

"Happy National Entrepreneurs day!"

I roll my eyes and send a dismissive "Thanks."

Immediately my phone rings again as he sends a "very much welcome 😁 breakfast this Saturday?"

I close out of my messages leaving him on read because I've never been good with saying no.

Slipping out of my work clothes and into a pair of Jean's and a hoodie I turn my phone back on and call an Uber.

Gust wasn't feeling well and Marissa left to visit her mother so I'm heading over to pick up Sammy.

The uber drops me off and I stand at the door waiting until Sammy finally opens it.

She jumps in my arms, "SoSo! I'm so glad your here. Daddy isn't feeling well".

I put her on my hip, "it's ok baby, the maid will take care of him until the ambulance arrives. Did you pack some clothes like I told you too?"

She jumps down running inside to return with a Dora drawstring bag.

I smile, "OK, how about we go for some burgers and fries?"

She shakes her head, "No I want pizza and Soda!"

I take her hand, "then pizza and soda it is".

***

It's dark when we get to my apartment although it was only around 5:30, you can blame that on the axial tilt.

Sammy runs ahead of me screaming that she found room 16.

I catch up pulling out my keys, "hold on darling, let me unlock the door".

She looks at me puzzled, "Why it's already unlocked?"

I hold my breath as she turns the knob and pushes the door open. My TV is on, a banana peel was left on the TV stand, my open mail is scattered on the floor and my couch cushions are stacked up on the coffee table.

My bedroom door is open giving me a view of my once made bed that has the covers undone and the pillows are on the floor.

He had probably been looking for money and things to steal. He has stolen from me multiple times because he thinks I'm too scared to report him. I figured he messed up my apartment as payback for leaving him on read.

Sammy looks up at me, "Wow you were building a pyramid!"

As my heart pounds I shut the door, grab Samantha's and run out of the building.

At the parking lot I clutch her hand as I call up Giovanni.

"Hey baby".

"Gio, someone was in my apartment! I left the door locked before I went to get Samantha but we just got back and found that it's unlocked and messy".

"Breathe Sophia, breathe for me".

I wipe running tears from my cheeks, "I'm scared".

"I know baby and the first thing we need to do is make sure your safe. Go to the seven eleven, a restaurant, ice cream parlor, somewhere in public. Tell me where you decided to go and I'll come pick you up. Stay on the phone with me till I have you in my arms".

I nod as Sammy starts to cry, "OK".

I put the drawstring bag on my back and pull Sammy with me as we walk to the seven eleven that was 5 minutes away.