Chapter 63: Luca Grey Anastasi

The past six months have been hell.

And it's not the pregnancy I'm talking about, it's Maria. She was downright malicious, incredibly petty and passive agressive. To make things worse my husband was barely ever home to witness any of the things that were happening. And when he did come home she would put on a spectacular act.

Gio had told me that he'd fire her or assign her somewhere else but I didn't want to be that wife. Right now I had no evidence of her maltreating me, if I asked Giovanni to remove her from our house it would look like it was only out of jealousy.

Whenever the incidents would happen she would make sure no one else was around. She knows that the other staff love me, they would snitch on her if they witnessed her disgusting behavior.

I know that if Maria was in charge of my food, she would have poisoned me by now. I was due in 2 weeks, the last thing I need is stress.

"Mrs. Anastasi, would you like your afternoon cake?"

I smile at the older lady and take the big slice of chocolate cake after thanking her.

It has been a routine of mine to eat chocolate cake at exactly 4 o'clock in the afternoon as I read my novel's. I've always loved chocolate and the cake that the chef cooks is amazing. I don't know but there was something about the chocolate that soothed my nevers.

"Eating again?"

I look up at Maria who just entered the library, "I don't remember calling for you-"

"You should really stop over eating. You'll have a hard time losing the weight after the baby is born. And you weren't a skinny girl to begin with".

I narrow my eyes, "Why do you care so much about my health-"

She laughs, "Gio would never stay married to an obese women. No man with the right mind would".

I put my plate down, "I won't tell you again to keep my husband's name out of your mouth!"

She shrugs her shoulders, "Here I was trying to give you advice but you are sensitive about everything. Your insecurities are showing Sophia".

She doesn't give me a chance to reply as she runs out the door. This is what I had to endure every single day.

I wasn't even hungry for my cake anymore. My head was busy ringing with Maria's harsh words. I hold onto the chair as waves of pain begin to hit me, I felt a sudden force and soon water began to cover my dry leggings.

The door opens again and this time it was a younger maid, "Mrs. Anastasi, your-Oh my! I think your water has broken".

I nod, "I need you to run downstairs and get a car ready then run to my room and grab my hospital bag. I don't think I can climb the stairs".

I watch as she runs out before pulling out my phone to call Giovanni. It rings once, twice, eight times before it goes to voicemail. I try him three more times but only get voicemail. He was actually supposed to be home by now. He always comes at 4:40 to check up on me before he leaves and then returns around midnight.

Another wave of pain hits me reminding me that I need to rush to the hospital. Wobbling out of the Library I head past Giovanni's office where I immediately pick out his deep voice.

I push the door open and stare at my husband who seems to be in a deep conversation with Maria.

I frown, "I'm sorry am I interrupting something?"

Maria has the nerve to smile at me.

Giovanni stands up looking at me drenched grey leggings in concern, "Sophia? What happened".