Chapter 40: Sophia and Giovanni

Golly, I knew the party would be packed but I didn't think it would be THIS packed.

The first thing I do is scan for table 6 where 7 men are seated. But one man seemed to stand out against the other 6. It wasn't much so about the way he looked or dressed but the air about him was dark. He lifted his empty blue eyes and they landed on me. I was one of the few black people in the building so it was a given that I stuck out. He noticed Lucia who was holding my arm besides me and his emotionless face contorted into a confused one. And then curiosity flashed in his eyes. As my heart beat fiercely in my chest and I look away him.

Lucia thankfully pulls me away, "Of course Mama invited all of Italy!"

I laugh at her commentary and scan the area for Giovanni.

I spot him seated at a table of young girls who were clearly flirting with him. I was about to go over but decide to save myself from embarrassment. Besides he knows I'm here so when he's ready he'll come over.

Oh boy was I wrong.

Giovanni doesn't come over to my table and 20 minutes pass before food is served. Then almost an hour passed before the first song starts which he takes Viola's hand leading her to the dance floor. I smile watching Giovanni hold his mother tightly as she cries on his chest.

The song ends and he carries on talking to people at different tables like before.

I stab a piece of Lamb meat, "What a disappointment, but it's whatever, I'm good".

"What".

I look up to the guy at my right, "Oh sorry I'm just talking to myself".

He points to the Lamb on my plate, "You don't like it?"

I shake my head, "Oh no! This is the best Lamb I have ever tasted".

He nods in agreement, "Besides my mother's Of course. What's your name sweetheart?"

"Sophia".

I take his hand and he presses a kiss to my knuckles, "It's a pleasure to meet you gorgeous, I'm James".

The rest of my time I continue to talk to James and soon find out he was actually from England hence his British accent. His father was Italian though and a friend of Giovanni's late father.

James told me that our table was the extra's table. Meaning people who didn't RSVP, people who were only invited just because and people who were not of great importance.

I was a bit hurt to be at the table. Giovanni sat at the head table with his family and Mafia men. My boyfriend had all the power to move me to his table but he didn't. Heck, even the 29 other tables would have been fine to me.

At this moment he was laughing at something a dirty blonde had whispered in his ear. It was like I didn't matter, didn't exist and he didn't care.

Standing up I excuse myself from the table and head to the bathroom. I felt like crying but I force myself to thug this out because it probably isn't even that deep.

Two girls come out of a stall and size me up. The one says something in Italian to the other and they both laugh.

I act unbothered, wash my hands and dry them leaving as smoothly as possible.

Thought you were gonna get a reaction? STOOPID I'm not gonna let you get the CHANCE.

I take a deep breath and fix my face as I walked back to the dining room.

"The nerve you have to come here looking so beautiful".

I turn around to the deep voice and my breath stops as my eyes lock with those stormy grey orbs.