Chapter 26: Does Love Beat All?

Alessandro leaves me in a swirl of confusion and fear from his words. I regain myself as we reach the bottom of the stairs and head to the kitchen where we find Giovanni with Samantha cooking sausage.

"SoSo we made you breakfast!"

I lift her in my arms and kiss her forehead, "Thank you baby I'm starving".

She runs over to Giovanni who hands her the spatula. Alessandro makes himself busy by drinking Orange Juice from the bottle and I search for plates.

"Tenth cabinet to your left".

I look up at Gio and nod.

By the time breakfast is finished cooking it's almost lunch time. We sit at a big table that holds twenty-two people and listen as Sammy tells us about school.

"So that's why I'm never going to invite Jordan to my birthday again".

I nod, "OK but don't be mean back-"

Her mouth drops, "But Jordan is mean to me first and all the time".

"And if that's the case than you tell the teacher. But two wrongs don't make a right".

The boys don't seem to agree with me though.

"I think the next time she gives you trouble you slap her. She won't stop preying on you until she sees that you aren't someone to mess with".

I glare at Alessandro, "Do not hit anyone Samantha, violence is never the answer".

She sighs, "I wouldn't be able too even if I tried. He's way bigger than me".

Both the boys and I choke on our food.

"Sammy, you didn't tell me it was a boy".

Alessandro stands up, "I'm go to school with you on Monday! If this little bit-"

"No!".

Giovanni shakes his head, "I have to agree with Less on this one Sophia. This needs to be dealt with".

I narrow my eyes, "Yeah but not by fighting a six year old!"

Alessandro puts his hands up, "Fine we wont touch him. Just a friendly little talk".

Gio turns to the child, "Samantha has Jordan ever put his hands on you?"

She removes her thumb from her mouth, "He tried to kiss me once but I slapped him. Daddy says boys have cooties".

Less nods, "Your Father is a smart man".

"Sammy, If he tries to kiss you again, run to the teacher and tell on him".

She looks down, "But then he'll tell on me".

I raise a brow, "For what?"

"For kissing Alex".

My mouth drops, this is what six year olds do these days?

Silence fills the room for none of us know what to say. Even I who knows how to deal with children am at lost of words.

Finally Giovanni pushes his chair back and holds his hand out to Samantha.

"Come here sweetheart".

She stands and walks to him as he sets her on his lap.

"When I was a little boy I used to kiss a lot of girls on the playground. But it's not right you know why?"

She shrugs her shoulders and sticks her thumb in her mouth.

"Because little boys and girls should be little boys and girls. Kissing is for adults and for Family. So can you promise me you won't kiss anybody else until your 35?"