Chapter 32: Thanksgiving

I woke up to 222 votes so I'm gonna bless you all with 2 new chapters. Please remember to vote!

Thanksgiving with Giovanni was not awkward like I thought it would be. We had Samantha over because Gust went back to the hospital after being released for a week.

His condition was getting worse and Samantha was getting more and more withdrawn.

She would throw tantrums over the littlest disappointments and if she wasn't doing that she was looking off into open air with a blank look.

It pained me to see her like that. Having her around put me in like a mother figure. I love the little girl and I miss the joy in her face and her laughter in the air.

"I'm in the kitchen!"

I shout out as I hear Giovanni call my name.

Dumping a handful of sliced potatoes inside the hot oil I watch them sizzle and golden.

"Homemade french fries eh?"

He wraps his arms around my waist and I tilt my head to give him a kiss.

"Childhood traditions can never be broken".

"It's 3pm and you haven't eaten my love".

I shake my head, "On Thanksgiving we starve until the food is ready".

He chuckles, "Where's the little lady?"

I sigh, "She broke your purple vase so I sent her to the coach to cool off".

He smirks, "So in other words a timeout?"

I roll my eyes, "Yes but apparently it isn't cool for first graders to have timeouts so we have to call it 'cool off's' as requested by the little lady".

He nods sarcastically, "Noted".

A few minutes later Samantha comes back in her arms crossed tightly and her lips in a pout.

"I don't wanna go!"

"Go where baby?"

Gio comes in aswell holding his keys, "Samantha and I are going on a date".

"You told me I couldn't date till I was 30!"

"It's not that kind of a date, it's like a daddy daughter da-"

"But your not my daddy so it isn't! Because my daddy is dying at the hospital right now so everyone just f*ck off!"

It felt like everything stopped at that moment. I swear even the oil stopped bubbling and not a soul was breathing.

Giovanni spoke first, "Samantha go put on your shoes and wait for me at the door".

Sammy's face goes more red, "I'm sorry for saying a bad word and for yelling. I just-"

Gio gives her a stern look, "Do what I told you".

We watch her drag her feet away then finally I close my eyes and breath.

"Maybe it is best if she goes back to Melissa? I have never seen her behave like that and I can't help but think I am the reason. I have failed a lot in my life Giovanni but failing this child I refuse".

Gio sighs and kisses my forehead, "I shouldn't have said 'daddy daughter' and I think we all need to breath. I'm taking her out to 'Chloe's Painting class'. I am in no way trying to replace her father but I know what she wants and needs right now is a father figure. Let me just talk to her and let her know that I'm here for her".

I smile, "I love you Giovanni".

***

By the time Samantha and Gio return the food's done and is set up at the table. Samantha is in high spirits and I am curious to know what Giovanni did to bring her old self back.