Chapter 72: A broken-hearted fool

This chapter is going to break everyone's heart, I'm sorry.

GIOVANNI POV.

I give Luca another push on the swing then look up to see Sophia walking to us with a plate of warm cookies. Luca jumps off the swing to go grab a cookie and I walked over to place a hand around Sophia's growing belly. She was 7 months pregnant and seeing that she was carrying twins, they could be here any time.

I breathe into her curls that smell like coconuts then paste a kiss on the side of her head.

"Mateo invited us for a dinner party tomorrow," I tell her.

She turns around to face me with eyebrows raised to the sky, "The same Mateo that has been trying to take your business down? The one you told me to stay away from at you mom's Christmas party?"

I nod and rub circles on her belly, "He wants to end this rivalry between the mafia's and he added that he wants to do business with us."

She narrows her eyes, "But why all of a sudden after all these years...I don't know Gio I have a bad feeling about this."

I run my hand over her wrinkled forehead as if I was erasing her worries, "I have my concerns too my love, but if Mateo is truly sincere this would be a good investment for the business."

She toys with her wedding ring for a couple of seconds then looks over to where Marcello sat on the picnic table munching on cookies. One hand comes up to her heart the other clutches her stomach where our second twins were sprouting.

"You promised to keep us first before work Gio. But yet you don't want to hear me as I tell you I have a bad feeling about this. To you it's all about your business."

Her voice comes out soft but she spoke with such power that her words were like knives thrown at my heart.

But I shake my head as I think of all the money that would be flowing in if the two Mafia's joined together. I turn her around to face me as anger and annoyance pump through my body.

"Of Course I keep you guys first! You say that I'm the one with problems but you still have a hard time trusting me...This is very important and can help us a lot. Remember what we talked about during counseling? Please Sophia, just trust me on this."

She nods her head slightly but her plump lips are pressed tight together her eyes heavy with disappointment.

***

The dinner was going fine so far. Sophia's mood has lightened up enough not to come across hostile and Mateo hasn't done or said anything to raise my suspicion...Until now.

He has pulled me into his office to discuss business but his bargains sit sour like a lemon on my tongue.

"You are asking for too much Mateo. I'll give you control of half of the my weapon trade and You give me control of half of yours. "

He releases rings of smoke from his Cuban cigar as heat rushes to his pale face, "But I don't care for your weapon trade Giovani. I want control of your west wing."

I stand up, adjust my tie and grab my suitcase. "I'd be a foolish man to give you that much control. Call me when you are ready to strike up a fair deal. I have to get back to Sophia."

My baby has been getting tired often and she told me she wanted us to get back home in time to put Luca to sleep. I turn to the door but not before I catch the quick flash in Mateo's cold blue eyes. It was so quick I couldn't distinguish what it was.

Behind me, I hear him clear his throat, "Ah, Sophia! Be sure to give her my farewell. Actually, don't worry about it. I'll come down to do it myself."

I give him a stiff nod and walk out to find my wife so we can leave. With her soft hand in mine, we make our way down Mateo's grand stairs to where our car is parked out front.

I look over at Sophia who is a little short of breath, "Please let me carry you down my love, your exhausted."

She shakes her head ever so determined, "I'm fine, besides we don't want these babies to come out fat."

I smile and bring her hand to my lips, "I'll love them no matter how they turn out. Even if they come out green and look like shrek."

She lets out a laugh loud enough to fill a stadium and my heart can't help but roll over at the sound of her melodious laughter. I lean in to kiss her cherry red lips so that I too can feel her joy, but we are interrupted before I can.

"Sophia!", we turn to see Mateo making his way down the stairs. "I wanted to wish you farewell before you left."

My beautiful wife smiles and waves her hand in farewell. I turned back to Mateo to see that he too has raised his hand. But not to wave goodbye, a gun was aimed and fired straight at Sofia's head. I catch her right before she falls and use my body to shield her.

Peaking out I see Mateo being dragged away by my men. I dreadfully turn around to look down at Sofia. Her eyes were on me but I could tell she wasn't able to focus. I wipe the twinkle of blood that was slowly making its way down her face.

"Giovani" her voice is so soft I thought I'd imagined it at first. But then she looks straight at me. And I know this was her goodbye. As gracefully as she had come into my life was as gracefully as she left it.

Her eyes roll back and a gush of blood pours down her face. I wipe it again and again but I still can't make out the expensive dark chocolate skin that I love so much.

Sophia was right, we shouldn't have come tonight...I shouldn't have pushed her into coming here. And Mateo was right to think of me as a fool. I shouldn't have denied his deal.

I would have left a fool but at least not a broken-hearted fool.

Anyone need a tissue?

One more chapter and it's wrap! Don't worry the next chapter is beautiful I promise.

Are you guys too angry to finish the book?:(