Chapter 53: New Normal

Six months later and we are learning to adjust to a new 'normal' after the passing of Valentina. Lucia has moved into the college dorms and Alessandro is now a single parent and although he forgets to pack diapers sometimes or extra clothes, in my eyes he is one of the best Dads out there.

He does his best and it breaks my heart when he beats himself up when he messes up. Being a father changed him, he has a different glow to him when he he is with his kids.

I think we all love the new Alessandro better. He stopped drinking completely and prioritizes his kids before anyone or anything. They made him mature I think.

"All eyes on the Bride please".

All nine bridesmaids including me and everyone else in the Church turn to look at Lace as she walks down the aisle with her father. Her white skin tight off the shoulders dress had a long train that gave it an elegant look.

Her Dad gives her one last kiss on the cheek before he hands her over to her almost to be Husband. Amir pulls out his handkerchief and wipes his eyes before he takes the hands of his lover.

They say their vows, Amir kisses his bride and we drive over to the reception for some dancing, food and fun.

The night comes to an end before I know it and Lace is throwing her bouquet of flowers. As if it was planned, the Rose's land perfectly in my hand and when I look up Giovanni stands right before me holding the garter.

"It better be me you'll marry".

I laugh, "Then you better propose before the other guys do".

He takes my hand and kiss it, "What's your ring size, I'll go get it right now?"

I smile, "I'm a seven and I'm also extremely tired. Take me home please".

He helps me out of my heels, holding them for me as we walk out to the car.

***

Three months pass and  life still moves on. Giovanni and I see each other everyday and I can't lie and say I am not falling in love with him more than I already am. He comes over during the day and helps me bake then I force him to watch vines till we laugh so hard tears come out. When it gets dark he uses the 'it's late' excuse to spend the night which I obviously don't mind.

We stay awake till 3am talking about our future kids, Jesus, how throwback songs are better than today's songs, how the Queen or Charles killed Princess Diana, How Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill herself, How Bill Gates and his wife need to be imprisoned for crimes against humanity, racial injustice, how chocolate cake is better then vanilla but vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate ice cream. We talk about everything and anything.

Those nights are my favorite. I was always that one kid who would look forward to classroom discussions and debates so I looked forward to him sleeping over. And although I'm strong headed and stubborn I also loved it whenever he would nicely correct me or inform me about a topic I wasn't educated on. I don't know but there is something attractive about an intelligent man.

Gio has begun to open up to me about his abusive father, his childhood, his plans for the future and even his biggest fears.

But one thing he absolutely refuses to talk about is his family business. Whenever I ask about it he stiffens up and his eyes go dark then he changes the topic. I know he's in the Mafia but I want to know the insides of it. Like what do they do specifically, drugs? Weapons? And how come the police haven't caught them? I hate that in a way he is being dismissive but I try to also understand that he is 'tRyInG tO pRoTeCt' me and that 'tHe lEsS I kNoW tHe bEtTeR'.